Does anyone know what is wrong with my WordPress site?

Rob April 30, 2011

I deactivated a plugin on my WordPress site, www.offthepost.info, which seems to have sent the whole site crazy.

I don’t know PHP, but the site is giving this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or ‘}’ in /nfs/c06/h04/mnt/96420/domains/offthepost.info/html/wp-content/plugins/facebook-like-button/inc/rec_widget.php on line 11

That’s not the plugin I deactivated, so it has obviously caused a problem elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Hi James,

After posting the question I deleted the Facebook Like plugin which was appearing in the error message. This brought the homepage back to life without an error message, but the links to every other page remains broken.

It was a caching plugin that caused the initial problem, so my entirely non-expert opinion is that something remains somewhere that is telling the site to rely on a cache that no longer exists.

Here's htaccess in case there's something in there:

# BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule (wp-content/uploads.*.(gif|jpg|jpeg|png)$) http://www.offthepost.info/wp-content/plugins/hotlink-protection/forbid.png [L]
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

# END WordPress

Thanks,

Rob

• pceasies

Normally caching problems can be resolved by deleting the cache folder inside wp-content. Some plugins make their own folder, mine is named "w3tc"

The essential directories are "plugins" "themes" "uploads" any other directories may be related to cache and you should browse through them to look for names that include "cache" and files that have long names composed of letters and numbers. Download or add the folder to a zip file if you think you've found it (back it up) then rename it and see if the problem is resolved. If it is, delete the renamed folder, but keep the back up for a week or so to be sure nothing important is missing. Lots of caching plugins have options in the WordPress admin area that allow you to clear their cache.

Rob, pls update us on the issue - did the above advice solve it? I'm not sure why that would have happened after deactivating another plugin though, if it was php5 related it should have been broken from the start...

3. Josh Fox

Mike is right. Depending on the version of WordPress you are running, it needs to use PHP5. If the server supports it and you can edit the .htaccess file, you can add this line to the bottom:

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

If the server has PHP4 and PHP5 installed, it will often default to PHP4. This line specifies for .php files on the server to use PHP5.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION

Looking at the Google results this error always means that your system (Webserver) is running on PHP4 while it requires PHP5.