What’s wrong with the Firefox right-click menu?

Doug April 20, 2010

Occasionally, when using Firefox (fully updated), a right click shows no choices just an outline of the menu. Once it happens it continues to happen. Sometimes when I save something it freezes the window and task manager is the only way to free up the computer.

I have tried disabling any Firefox add-ons that might be causing the intermittent behavior. Using Vista (updated with patches automatically).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions for a cure.

1. Johnathan TheTool Lane

I'd assume it is simply the video card or the memory associated with rendering video. I say this because I get the same problems when running flash based games in my browser and I have for a long time. Depends what I'm playing and which computer I am on. If any of the above did not work I don't have any solutions.

Good Luck!

2. Saikat Basu

Try running FF in safe mode. Does the problem recur? Check your memory usage. Is something consuming more memory? Sometimes some toolbars can cause excessive memory usage. Disable any search indexing service you might have running in the background. Most probably, the problem is being caused by excessive memory usage by something.

See if this post - How to Use Mozilla Firefox in Safe Mode helps in any way.

• Doug

Thanks for the fast reply Saikat. I have tried disabling addons, but it is intermittent enough that it's hard to tell what makes a difference. I usually have windows task manager open and Firefox runs around 40% tops for usage. I will try the safe mode.
      I think it might have to do with memory or cache or even video card problems, because even if the right click menu shows up correctly there is often a hesitation of a second or two. Even typing in words the screen can be 304 characters behind and I am not a fast typist.

• Saikat Basu

Video card problems will be common for all apps, I think. 40% is a bit high I think. See if this Mozilla help article helps - Firefox consumes a lot of CPU resources.

The other thing you can do is to go into Firefox's about:config page and tweak the settings for two values (browser.cache.disk.capacity and browser.cache.memory.capacity). I am not sure of the exact settings you should apply. Just Google for it and you are bound to find something. Let us know how it turned out.

• Doug

Hello Saikat, I checked the article suggested. I disabled AVG and Snapshot addons. Will try again. It takes a while to build up to the error and freezing. I use Firefox all the time but there seems to be a time lag in other programs but not as much. Here is what happens http://traveloffen.com/images/empty_menu.jpg when it should look like this http://traveloffen.com/images/correct_menu.jpg
          I am going to try changing the config files as you suggest.