What is wrong with my external hard drive?

Subrat Manandhar September 18, 2012

My portable external hard drive is detected by my PC but when I try to view the videos it stops responding after a few minutes. I cannot copy files from it, if I try to copy the light blinks slowly and then its hangs.

Please help me.

1. Vijaynand Mishra

Please use Check Disk Utility ( Win XP ) and check the disk for error

2. Robert Gorman

Once you have connected your External HD to your computer

Go to My Computer and Right Click on your External Drive

Select Properties from the Menu, this will show you 8 options
    that you can perform on your Drive.

Select TOOLS, select Error-Checking and Check Now

This will ask you if you want this program to run, Select Yes

You will be given the option of either Automatically fix file system errors

ALTERNATIVELY,
    Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
    .
    Just follow the instructions for whatever one you choose
    alternatively, you may want to run both.

This should fix any errors that may be affecting your external drive

3. Ram Lalit

VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS!!

4. GrrGrrr

there could be bad sectors on ur HDD. What is the make/model?

when was the last time u had it working fine?

5. Sorin Oprea

First thing to do is to go to another PC and try to do the same thing.
    If the HDD performs the same as on your PC then it's either hardware-based issue or filesystem corruption. The first thing to do is to backup anything you can and create a new partition layout for that hdd and reformat it, but if the issue is hardware based then this won't solve anything.
    If the HDD works well on other PCs then the issue is from your PC. (Maybe the driver or USB)

6. Dave LeClair

This same thing actually happened with my external HD. I tried every solution I could find on the web, and much to my dismay, it eventually led to the HD dying and me needing to purchase a new one. If you are still under manufactures warranty, I would recommend swapping it out for a new one.

Check the System Event log looking for errors and warnings generated from the following sources: Disk, usbperf, USB-USBHUB, USB-USBPORT and just to be sure volmgr. You can filter by this specific set of criteria. You may also want to look at informational messages for these event sources as well for indications that would indicate it is having a problem communicating with the USB controlelr (I'm assuming it's a USB device you are having problems with) or if it is a problem with the drive itself. If it is an issue with the controller and depending on the make/model of the drive, you may be able to remove it from the existing housing and connect it via an adapter or put it into another enclosure. If it is a problem with the drive itself, it still may be easier to rip it out of the housing and connect it directly to the system as an internal drive so it does not require a communications conversion in the backup process. (If the drive itself is failing, the best thing you can do is attempt to pull a copy of all of the data from the drive and store it on another device.)

try to uninstall the driver from device manager while the portable external hard drive is plugged then reboot and let windows to reinstall a new driver;

try the following microsoft solution
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/system_maintenance_for_windows/en-us

1. Start > search bar -> CMD and press enter
    2. type< diskpart
    3. type< list disk
    4. type< select disk # (# is the number of the hard drive)
    5. type< attributes disk clear readonly

9. Srinivas N

May be your hard drive is heavily fragmented..Try defragmenting it

It might b because of the platters clashing with each other.You might have been hearing some grinding sounds during the operation of your external HDD.If your external HDD had suffered some physical damages then quickly try to backup your important data from it.

• skinnybiceps

yes it gives a sound something like mobile vibrating when it stops working?is there anything i can do to fix this problem

No,you can do anything to prevent it.Don't try to open up as the disk platters are so sensitive that a single dust molecule will destroy it.If you can afford and your locality has some big data recovery centre,then you can pay $10,000 to recover your data if your drive goes dead.If you still can copy data from your drive,do it immediately.