What is wrong with my DVD drive?
Question by Alison /

Sometimes, when I put a DVD in my drive it recognizes it and plays fine, other times it won’t recognize it at all.

Lately, there have been awful sounds (like scraping and such) coming from the drive when the DVD starts to spin. I try to force open it using VLC but it gives me a message: “Your input can’t be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL ‘dvd://D:\’. Check the log for details.”

What should I do?

• Ruthie_perry

where do i find my log ( for details)

Have you cleaned your drive lately? Like with everything else to keep running in tip top shape you have to maintain it. Buy a dvd/cd cleaner and running it often. A dvd/cd cleaner is a disk with brushes on it. When you run it, it cleans the lasers and also any dust and fingerprints/smudges on it.

Also you might be having problems with your DVDs, because different kind of disks are being used. There are different kinds of disks: DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, Dual layer, etc. Your drive might not be compatible with everyone of them. The original DVD format was DVD-R and is read by the majority of dvd drives. Some dvd drives will not play DVD-R but they play DVD+R.

Another reason for disk not to be recognized are smudges and scratches. Before playing a DVD make sure your disk is clean.

DVD drives are by default noisy, specially IDE connected drives. Have you open your drive to check if there is something making contact inside? Next time that noise happens do no try to open the drive. What you have to do is stop the dvd from playing, let it sit for a few seconds and then try to open the drive using either the eject from the program you are using or use the button on the drive to open it. Also, if the program tells you to check the log, make sure you do so because it could provide vital information to fix the issues.

It might also be that you need to get a new drive. Hope if helps.

• Osama

It may be due to faulty DVD-Drive or a scratchy DVD. use that DVD on another PC to check whether it’s running fine or not. If yes, change ur DVD-Drive