What is wrong with my Dell laptop?

swathi avasarala September 26, 2011

My laptop turned of suddenly and it didn’t start for some time. Even if I pressed the power button, it shows the Dell logo and again turned off. After some time it gets started. This is the first time I am getting this problem. The power cable is on at that time.

My laptop is Dell Inspiron 1464. Configuration 3GB RAM,320 GB hard drive, 32-bit. So please solve my problem as I love my laptop!

1. Prasann

i have same dell laptop and my laptop has turned off several even when it was charging how can i get rid of this problem please help...PRASANN 

2. Aaron

Check your ram modules. make sure they are seated correctly. also try to remove one and start and the try with the other. but make sure you ground yourself first. gl

Swathi,

were you able to track down what causes the issues with your laptop? Please let us know in case you were able to fix it or whether you need more support. Thank you!

4. Camden

This isn't Windows Related. From what you're telling us, the computer isn't even making it through the POST (Power-On-Self-Test), and therefore, everything FIDELIS said is bogus. I second Jeff's advice. You either have power issues, or there's some faulty capacitors (That would explain you needing to turn it on several times; the circuits aren't holding an electrical charge) -- perhaps a thermal sensor on the CPU is damaged -- either way, laptops aren't as repairable as desktops, and I recommend you contact dell for an RMA/repair.

Hello, did you check event viewer logs?  Usually this kind of error is reported to event viewer and recorded there unless it is set not to.  You could also disable the automatic restart when errors occur so that next time this happens, you will get a blue screen with an error.  Once you record the error you can research it and find ways of fixing if possible.  Easiest way of disabling automatic restart is by pressing f8 when starting system and when you get the options screen, just highlight disable automatic restart.

You could also follow the next steps to do it the long way, that is if you can start your system normally:

-- select windows key + Pause/Break
    -- select Advanced
    -- under startup and recovery, select settings
    -- under system failure, uncheck automatically restart
    -- click ok and then ok.

I would say this sounds like a power supply unit failure. Have you tried contacting Dell Support? I know that Dell released a critical BIOS update for your model, I don't know if this would fix your issue though.