What is wrong with the Administrator account on my Windows XP computer and how can I fix it?

Janie Barfield November 11, 2011

I have a password protected Administrator account on my PC. On the welcome screen I click my name, then enter my password, but my home page comes up blank. There are no icons at all.

I have tried working in Safe Mode so that I can change the account, but my keyboard won’t work in Safe Mode. I have also tried system restore, which didn’t work.

My ex-husband used the Administrator account and I think he must have done something wrong. Can you help please?

Hi Janie,

Were you able to fix the problem using recommendations above? Let us know.

Aibek

Hello, in order for your keyboard to work in safemode, it has to be connected through ps2.  Usb keyboards work too as long as the legacy usb option is enabled in BIOS.

Have you tried starting explorer through task manager?  To do so, try the following:

-- right click on task bar
    -- select task manager
    -- check to see if explorer.exe is running.  Scroll down on task manager until you see explorer.exe.  If you do not see it, it is not running
    -- if it is, highlight it and then click on end process
    -- to turn it back on, click on file
    -- new task
    -- type explorer.exe
    -- press enter.

If the above step doesn't show you the icons, you could try downloading the portable version of the following program:

http://www.tangosoft.co.uk/downloads.html

The portable version doesn't need to be installed in your system.  Just download it, run the .exe program and you are on your way.  Do the following:

-- click on .exe icon to run
    -- on menu, click on Tools
    -- select Repair Explorer.exe startup problems
    -- follow instructions
    -- restart system

I would also ask your other half if he did any changes to your system, if he did ask him to show you what.  I would also advice you to give your system a full scan with your antivirus/antimalware.  Let us know if it works.

Home page is blank? if you go to windows OS hard drive and to program files, can you launch any applications by clicking on their icon?

click on desktop >> arrange icons>>show desktop icons should be checked.

for keyboard problem in safe mode read this : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258795#
    I think system restore should work.
    Are you sure you chose the oldest possible and most proper system point when your pc did not have any problem ?