Is it worth getting a 3D laptop even if the graphics card isn’t ‘as good’?

Joe July 22, 2011

I’m looking at laptops to buy, and I’ve found that the best laptop, for the price, is Lenovo. Now I’m torn between AMD Radeon HD 6570M 1GB and NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1GB graphics cards. Everything else between these 2 laptops is exactly the same, including the price.

People say that AMD and ATI are better than NVIDIA, but the NVIDIA has 3D. I’m planning on using this laptop for everything, but mostly gaming. Is it worth getting the “worse” graphic card for the 3D? or should I go for the “better,” more reliable graphics card and give up the 3D?

Joe, I think you're confused about 3D here. If the only difference was the graphics card, it wouldn't be a 3D capable laptop. The display itself has to be 3D capable, and the machine will usually come with 1 or 2 pairs of 3D glasses. Does it?

If the price is the same, and the second is indeed a '3D display laptop' I would throughly urge you to go for the 3D one. Gaming 3D is a completely difference experience, and naysayers just haven't tried it. Only for FPS games, of course, everythign else doesn't really work in 3D at all. 

However, I doubt the models you are looking at are in fact 3D anything... since you mentioned that "people say nvida has 3d" rather than about the specific laptop. So, you should forget 3D , because it's simply not relevant if the laptop isn't designed for 3D from the start. Just becuase it has nVidia does not mean it does 3D. So basically youre choosing between Ati or Nvidia, similarly specced cards, and it's down to preference rather than anything thing. Look up some benchmarks for those particular cards and your game of choice, and go purely on numbers. 

• Joeb

The laptop with the NVIDIA graphics card IS 3D. The entire laptop. The laptop with the AMD graphics card is not 3D. The processor, RAM, and pretty much everything else is exactly the same specs. 

• Joe

That's me up there, by the way. 

• JoeG

it wont let me put "Joe" >.>

In that case, no competition. Get the 3D one, and start enjoying a new dimension to your gaming. The naysayers say nay because they've never had one!

Hello, if you are planning  to use your laptop mostly for gaming I would stick to the better card....even if it does not have 3D...unless you are planning to watch 3d often.  I have used both ATI and NVIDIA graphic cards and I have never had problems with any one of them.  Only problem with graphic cards, specially with laptops is that you buy one today and tomorrow there are better ones on the market and you can do nothing to change them.