How can I work with windows that are larger than my screen?

Michael Maulbeck October 24, 2010

Some Windows pass the bottom of the screen and I cannot resize them to make them not do that. I am running Windows 7. Examples of this happening are the HPL2 tools and Autotune. I can work around this by using the move function combined with arrow keys to get to the part of the window I need, but then I need to move the window back to get to the other side. Any suggestions?

Michael, if you haven't found a solution yet, then I'd like to pick up on Toot's point. Some graphics card utilities will allow you to set a larger desktop size than the screen resolution. For example, your screen size may be 800x600 and you can set the desktop size to 1280x1024. This make the screen into a 'port' into the larger desktop, and you can scroll around this virtual desktop simply by dragging the mouse to the edge of the screen. Unfortunately, this is not a common option on modern graphics cards (I guess nowadays most screens nowadays are more than big enough and don't required this), but you may be in luck, or perhaps somebody knows of a third party utility that will do the same thing?

thanks for letting us know. how did you fix it in HPL2 Tools?

fixed problem in HPL2 Tools, will have to deal with autotune(which i very seldom use)

Did you try changing the screen resolution? What is your current resolution?

current resolution is my monitors native one...

5. toot

Hi, just an idea come across my mind that the possibility of having another screen to merge both screens into a big screen. The big screen would then be able to keep to your windows size.

There is video display utility usually available from the display card which is in handy to make the adjustment of the multiple displays setting and the windows size.

Hi

Try WindowSpace shareware
    http://www.ntwind.com/software/windowspace.html

WinSplit Revolution
    http://www.winsplit-revolution.com/

Auto Window Manager 1.5
    http://www.eusing.com/WindowManager/WindowManager.htm

Changing Resolution-
    1.In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab.
    2.Click the Advanced button.
    3.Click the Adapter tab, and then click the List all modes button.
    4.Select the resolution, color depth, and refresh rate that you want and click OK.

Michael,

if I understand you correctly, you cannot resize these windows because they have a fixed size.And your problem is, how can you easily move between multiple windows without having to move the front window out of the way first.

Did you try the [Windows] + [TAB] key combination? While holding down the [Windows] key click the [TAB] key and you should see how different programs in the taskbar are being highlighted. When the right one is selected, just hit [Enter] and it should come to the foreground.

Similarly, you can use [ALT] + [TAB], which will show you a list of programs for you to tab through in the middle of your screen.

Also check out the following article for more Windows 7 specific keyboard shortcuts that will make your life easier:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/25-cool-windows-7-keyboard-tricks-impress-friends/

Please let us know if any of these tips answered your question. Thank you!

Well thanks, but that is not the problem. I can access other windows. But within the same window some features (buttons and such) are outside the borders of the screen, and thus inaccessable.

• Thetford

This should work: Gab the TOP part of the Window with your Mouse. The Mouse Pointer turns into a 2-ended Arrow, pull the Top of the Window downward, which shrinks the top-to-bottom size of the window, until you can see the Bottom part of the Window, then release the Mouse.... Hope this helps.