How can I work with layers in Adobe Photoshop?

Debbie Thorpe June 18, 2011

Just been reading your Idiots Guide to Photoshop, which initially suggested looking at your guide to layers. I followed the link to this with the red and blue blob with green tick etc. and understood that.

However, feel a bit dumb because it then said if layers icon not showing in bottom corner, go to Windows menu and select either layers or press F7. Do I have to have Photoshop open and is it there where layers option should be visible? Also is this for Adobe Photoshop?

Also below why does it ask what is 3 + 3?

1. Rodrigo

Hi there, Debbie.

First of all, yes, you need Photoshop open to use layers, as with any other photoshop feature. Once it's open, take a look around the screen and see if you can find a little "sub-window" that looks like the image i attached.

If not, take a look at the top part of the Photoshop window. There you will find a series of menus, like File, Edit, Image, Layer, Select, Filter and so on. Along with these items, you will find an item called "window". This is where you should go to get any of the so-called "palletes" in photoshop (believe me, you will hear and read it a lot if you want to learn about Photoshop ;-)). When you click on it, you will see a series of options, including "Layers". Click it, and you're good to go!

Or you could just press F7 on your keyboard for easier acess :-)

Best Regards

Rodrigo Silva

Debbie,

you had to solve the little math question when submitting your question to prove that you are human and not spamming us. :) So that's what the 3+3 is about.

As for help with Photoshop, stay tuned!