Do you or would you like to work from home?

Tina April 27, 2011

During the course of the information age and globalization, the job market has changed dramatically. Many professions (new and old) don’t rely on local installations, such as factories. As a consequence, many jobs are no longer tied to a specific geographic location. We see that for example with customer support being outsourced to India or Eastern Europe.

On the bright side, many people don’t have to commute to work every day because they can do office work from home. Some even work from home full time and join meetings via tele- or video-conferences.

So do you work from home as a consequence of global interconnectedness or would you like to? And why (not)?

1. Jesyka Redmon

I would love to know how to get involved in this. I really need a job and would perfer it to be only cause im really good at it. If anyone could helpĀ I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks.

2. Ari.

Yes, I would love to. Any ideas??

Good one, Ari!

Well, you would have to find a job that only requires simple tools or yourself. For example you could be a writer, teacher (not at a school, though), painter, offer remote support (for almost anything), etc.

There are tons of possibilities. What do you do now? Could you convince your boss or become self-employed?

I work for myself from home, and I love it. I'm so happy I've been able to avoid the daily commute to london and the ridiculous corporate rat-race. I think it might get more difficult if I have kids though...

4. Sahil Dave

I am a student right now but i would love to do a side-by-side home job like website editing, blogging and other technical works. I have made some efforts in this regard like i had made my website (currently free, on webs.com) and i am trying to be regular answerer on MUO and some other websites as well. In a few days my long vacations would start and i would start updating my websites with some cool blogs and infographics. At this time it is at a halt due to my examinations.
    Love to do some good web-editing!!!

Sahil

5. Roy

I would love to work from home, but my employer doesn't permit it. My job title is Web Specialist, but the company is actually a retailer, rather than a Tech or Design firm. As you can imagine, there's a lot more going on around my workplace than that which has to do with managing web sites! An environment with fewer completely unrelated distractions would be much more conducive to productiveness. Companies that deal specifically with the Web and Tech industries seem to understand this to a much greater degree, and thus allow their employees to work from home more often. Companies whose main focus is in other areas or disciplines, which also happen to employ a few tech- or web-specific associates, haven't yet "gotten the memo" to a large extent.

I do both: I commute in the day and work from home in the night. Can't leave either of them because I love them both. :)