Is there a WordPress plugin to let public select from multiple options?

David September 15, 2011

I am new to WordPress and I’m building a new site for a not-for-profit organization. One of the items I need to include is a selection option. I have lists of names, types of services, and maybe another determining item, and I want the public to be able to select the service they need and present a list of all those who are indexed for that service. Probably several hundred individuals to be selected from. I can do this in Excel, but not in WordPress!

Do you know of a pre-format that I can use? Thanks ahead of time. I do not have a web site up yet so I have entered this one just to let me access.

1. Hans Vanniekerk

Hi there,

I have a website that I am just building for Tourism.

At the moment I am using the AVH Extended categories as a widget to allow my users to seach categories. You can see example here : http://puravidaguide.com/costa-rica/category/san-jose-province-costa-rica/restaurants-in-san-jose-province-costa-rica/

As I have numerous categories and have many more to add, user searching would be much easier if I had a multiple category seach option that autopulated the search fields below,

Such as: In this case, if I wanted to search for an Indian restaurant in San Jose CIty

1st Search Box

Province / State  - in this case user chooses San Jose Province

2nd Search Box

City - in this example the user would be shown the cities in San Jose Province , and choose San Jose City

3rd Search Box

Activity (restaurants / hotels / sports etc) - in this example the user would choose 'Restaurant'

4th / final Search Box

Further define Activity ( price / food type etc) in this example a user would choose 'Indian'

I have tried the multi category selection feature, however it does not create multiple fields if the categories are not high level, so this does not work for me.

Any other suggestions of plugins that I could use? I am not experienced with Jquery. the site is usign wordpress and thesis 1.8

Thanks for any help,

Hans

That's not possible without jQuery, and I don't know of any plugin that would be able to do that for you given how niche your usage is. 

David,

was the advice provided above helpful? Did you make any progress? Please share with us. Thank you!

Personally, I would set this up using a custom post type to represent the people/contacts. Then create as many custom taxonies as you like for that post type. So your post type would be a contact of some sort, taxonomy one would be service, taxonomy 2 would be location etc. This would mean you can use standard WP accessors (like yourdomain.com/contacts/service1/ to narrow down and present options. You could also very easily show the taxonomy list as a selection box, just as standard wp categories drop down allows. 

I wrote a tutorial on creating a cutom product database using post-type here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/product-review-database-wordpress-custom-post-types-custom-fields-featured-images-widgets/

It certainly won't take you all the way to achieving what I describe above, but it's a start. You'll need to look up custom taxonomies yourself, and be comfortable with some PHP programming. This is probably a little too niche of a topic to write another tutorial on though.

• oudein

James, that is EXACTLY what I am trying to do, except I would like for the 'people' to be site users. Is that what you did, and, if so, how did you link users to post types or taxonomies?

I havent done any of this myself, but Im just tyring to think of ways you could do it economically. 

I think what you basically want is a people directory thats searchable. This plugin might be more suitable: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/connections/ than custom programming. 

I would suggest against making the people actual users of the site though, as that really does complicate things and would mean some serious amounts of custom programming to link the taxonomies with site users, as you say. Any particular reason why they need to be users? Perhaps not all users would want to be listed - and perhaps people that should be listed dont want to be users?

Another would be to create a full community type site using BuddyPress, which creates users as you need rather than items in a custom post type. It allows you to set up custom profile fields too for city etc, but I cant offer more words of wisdom there as its not something I've used on a project yet. I would say give it go, then post back with any specific issues you run into - buddypress is quite an epic plugin though, kind of like wordpress itself, and has its own set of plugins to extend it even more. 

4. Drew

it might be possible to do something in another web app, then use an embedding code to put it into the wordpress site.

I've no idea what web app you might use for this purpose, but the embedding is very straightforward.