WordPress, Joomla or Drupal? Which One Should I learn?

Andy February 19, 2010

I have almost no experience in coding but want to learn. I have been reading about these CMS. Which one would you recommend someone with no coding experience? Please keep in mind that I want to make dynamic websites (eventually and hopefully :)).

Thank you in advance.

1. veganinha

The community here is the best as they say Joomla's is. I want to talk about the ways I'm making money online but I heard if you do that on blogger, it might get deleted as blogger thinks it's spam.

Would wordpress do that?

I love difficult things so I'm really excited to learn about Joomla, and I love changing templates.

I would start out with WordPress. Everything is logical to find in the code unlike Joomla which and drupal which seems to be all over the place.

WordPress is easy for a blogger. Joomla is more easy than Drupal.
    All the CMS you have to spend long time on it.

4. lakridserne

Well, I would try them all out and select the one I like best. In my case WordPress or (not listed here) Xoops.

5. Max Monic

I start with Joomla, but then I find that WordPress is more convenient.

Depends on your need. If you just want to share some news than WP is better. But if you need plugin of features that isn't available in WP, then it's better to use Joomla.

6. seopilot

Thank you this nice post.

7. Taty

If you feel you might need something more robust eventually, I'd suggest Joomla. It's very capable, and unlike Drupal, the newest versions of Joomla require virtually no scripting and have a great community that supports it with extensions and forums.

8. Andy

Hello,
    Thank you for all... based on your recommendations, I have officially started with WordPress as of this morning. Hope it goes well...
    Thanks again.

9. Andy

Breathwork & Sherman Chiropractic... thank you very much to both of you for taking the time to answer my question.

@Sherman Chiropractic... I dont know if it counts as taking the first step, but I have been blogging (unluboylari.blogspot.com) and managing unluboylari.com from the admin (adding celebrities and their heights, adding html links, some text formatting etc.). Do you think that I have already gotten my feet wet and hands dirty? If it does, I will start with Joomla. If you say it doesn't, I will start with WordPress and move onto Joomla as you have suggested.

Thanks again.

I would also recommend starting with WordPress. It's probably the easiest for a beginner. there is also a vast amount of support and freely available plugins around that can help you can use to ultimately create dynamic websites. For instance, MakeUseOf Answers, runs on its WordPress as well as MakeUseOf Blog, Directory and Geeky Fun. And all are fairly different from each other.

10. Sherman Chiropractic

If you have no experience at all, start with WordPress and see how it works. Keep a blog, add widgets, design a theme, and get your feet wet and hands dirty. The WordPress.org people are very helpful and there is lots of information available.

Then graduate to Joomla when you have some concept of how dynamic sites work. If you have NO coding experience, you may find Joomla or Drupal overwhelming at first.

Do some plain, old-fashioned html too.

11. Breathwork

Joomla is the way to go for serious cms hacking. Its as lightweight as you want it too be, or, as heavy weight.

There is an incredibly active community developing templates, components and other add-ons.

Joomla is the way to go...