Can you help me with a WordPress installation issue?

rohith March 16, 2010

There is an error when opening this link after step by step process and when I try http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php the following error appear:

“Error establishing a database connection

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can’t contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host’s database server is down.

* Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
* Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
* Are you sure that the database server is running?”

mySql and apache and filezila are running when the above links are tried. Kindly get me the solution.

Thanks in advance.

1. rohith

yeah i renamed before i asked this here...

But how do i check if the password is working or not??

• Jack Cola

I am not sure how to check, but you can always reset it. That would be the best option.

2. Taty

Test the username and password directly on the database first and make sure they work. Then open your wp-config.php file and make sure you have added the information there. If you can't find the wp-config.php file, look for the wp-config-demo.php file and rename it to wp-config.php. Fill in the information on that file. Try again.

3. ├Žnon1mus

May seem redundant but HAVE you checked whether you configured/renamed the wp-config.php file?

So the issue you have is your wordpress script can't connect to the database.

Is your database successfully working?
    Are your password correct?
    Have you used the correct username? It could be in the form of username_databasename

We can't tell you a fix because nothing really is wrong. Just the details you are entering in or that your database isn't working correctly.

I am guessing you are using your own server?

Also, make sure that you have single quotes around the db_username, hostname ... values.

Have you tested the MYSql DB username and password? What host are you using?

Hi Rohith

Something tells me you might have set up the wrong hostname. WordPress recommends using the localhost for it but for me personally it never worked. Try using the actual address of the database server.