Why is WordPress footer crashing over navigation?

Rob December 23, 2010

The footer of my website is sometimes crashing over the ‘Older Posts’ navigation, especially for Internet Explorer users. Do any WordPress experts now why this would be? If you email I can send you a zip of the site if needed.

Thanks.

1. pceasies

On div#footer-container try removing bottom:0 and see if that fixes the problems. The footer comes last in the document so it should already end up down there without having to specifically position it.

Thanks pceasies, I've since fiddled around with his theme offline and fixed things for him ;)

The was with the CSS, as you say, it was being absolutely positioned for some reason rather than just falling into place.

Ah - I did both. I've reinstated the js file, but the lines you suggested should already be gone.

Thanks.

Hmm, it's definately still there, so maybe there is another place it is being pulled in from. If you zip up the theme and send it to jamesbruce at makeuseof com i'll have a quick look and should be able to point out what else to delete.

Site was exceedingly slow to load on my 20mb broadband connection, and one reason i suspect is the cause of many of your problems is the high occurrence of advertising after every single post, and FLASH based advertising at that. There's also masses of javascript being pulled in from all your various ad networks, and it's absolutely killing the page.

Now I can't even see the older posts nav link on firefox.. oh dear! I suspect it is not just internet explorer users who give up on the site.

Is a total theme change out of the question? Or at least strip out 90% of the advertising to help the page load.

Hi James

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried stripping out the after post ads before. If anything it makes the problem worse.

I've done it again now so you can see what I mean.

Rob

Hi offthepost. I see what you mean, but leave it out until problems are fixed.

Next, I'm seeing j-query errors caused by the nivo.slider, so unless you're using it I would cut these lines out of the header:

that should fix some of the main jquery that's not working right now, which is related to the footer and header menu. I've had a similar problem on other sites, it's usually down to some incompatible jquery coding.

OK - I've removed the lines you suggested. No, the j-query was not been used. It was a built-in option on the theme.

It looks like you've removed the js file from the theme folder, but not the actual lines of code referencing it. sorry, I should been clearer.

I'm fairly sure they are in the header.php file in your theme folder, but if not then they may be being pulled in from somewhere else. Check header.php first, though.

(The older posts button is definately there, just being obscured by the footer, and im sure the jquery thats not working right now is intended to fix that)