What is the best WordPress backup plugin?

Spreng March 30, 2011

I was wondering what is the best complete backup WordPress plugin to use. I need one that backs up everything, i.e. posts, media, themes, settings, plugins, etc. So that way I could migrate a complete site over to another site if I have to. Or if the site crashes I could get it up and running again in no time.

Yeah, Vaultpress is the best. You can also try Backupbuddy but they charge an yearly fee, so not recommended.

Spreng,

in case you try any of the above mentioned backup tool, please let us know which one worked best for you or why you picked a specific (other) one. Thank you!

3. pceasies

You may want to look into Backupify. You create an account on their site and add their plugin to your blog and it handles backups for you (it stores them on your server).

http://vaultpress.com/ is probabaly the easiest to use and most comprehensive, but it is a premium service from the creators of wordpress. It will work with any wordpress environment though, if you are on shared hosting for instance.

There are numerous free backup plugins available, but none of which are particularly user-friendly or cover all the features you want.

If you have SSH access to your server, then setting up a daily cron backup for the entire database and filesystem is quite easy - in fact, I'll be publishing an article on how to do so in the next few weeks. Unfortunately, most shared hosting accounts dont give you shell access, so this isnt an option for most people. Let me know if you do and I'll post the exact commands you can type in to do a full backup.