Why won’t my Windows PC hang on restart?

Anonymous June 20, 2014

Computer will not restart properly.

Reference a previous post from someone else in my shoes:
//www.makeuseof.com/answers/pc-restart-properly/#respond

I got done building my second computer and understand the basic functions or hardware, drivers, software, etc. I was able to correct all errors the computer was making except this restart issue. If I attempt to do a normal, “Windows key – Shutdown> – Restart” the system will get to the point where the computer will be ready to reboot, but never does. During this time, the power will be on and the fans will still be running, etc, just no reboot.

If I click “Windows Key – Shutdown”, the system will shut down completely normally. so basically the only issue is when it comes to installing software that requires a restart after installation and then automatically does it.

All the parts in the computer are brand new out of the box and no unnecessary programs are installed at this point since I just installed Windows and the core essentials such as drivers, virus scanner, etc.
I’ve tried the following solutions:

1. Cleaned the registry
  2. I have all the latest drivers
  3. I tried re-installing windows/recovery
  4. I have the same issue with or without the graphics card installed
  5. I have “Normal Startup” selected in MSConfig
  6. The power supply is brand new, 520w bronze certified (estimated system usage is only 243w), and is providing adequate power to all components as evident in my voltage on my BIOS screens.

That being said, I think it maybe a RAM issue, or a motherboard issue. I’ve tried old RAM sticks from my previous computer (Unknown brand) and brand new RAM sticks as well (name brand). They were correctly installed on the motherboard and are 100% compatible with the motherboard. I have tried every combination of putting the old, new, and mix of RAM into the motherboard with no success on this issue.

Lastly it makes me think it has to be a motherboard issue. I have no problems with any other part of the motherboard. I guess I want to know if that is likely the issue despite seeming unlikely. I would hate to get a whole new motherboard because that’s super annoying, but does anyone/can anyone think of another solution or possibility on this one. Such a weird issue I know #1stWorldProblems.

Thanks everyone!

-Jeff, but you can call me Jeff :-D

It could be anything, but it's most likely to be related to the BIOS in some way. Three things you could do in that regard:

1. reset the CMOS settings
    2. Check the settings (in particular make sure that PME Event Wake Up is on)
    3. Update the BIOS firmware.

Next, it could also be a corruption with Windows' Power Management settings, which happens from time to time. Create a new Power Management profile and set it to reasonable values (i.e, you don't have to change the values "just because"). Apply, restart, see what happens.

A driver issue is also a possibility, especially graphic cards drivers. The problem is that this can be very difficult to diagnose, and you've already taken the sensible step of trying it without the add-on video card. Still, you could try updating all your drivers, and if that doesn't help, experiment with the video card's settings (resolution, refresh rates...).

It's unlikely to be the Mobo or the RAM, as the PC is working properly when it's actually on (but as I said above, it could be anything...). You can test the RAM with Memtest, which you can run from a bootable CD/USB.

Microsoft has a check list for restart problems at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/what-to-do-if-windows-wont-start-correctly .

• Newmannu08

Thanks for the advice Oron J! I'm going to try that as soon as I get back. Hopefully that solves the issue!

try to clear cmos settings, unplug the power cable, remove the cmos battery for 1_2 h and the replug everything.

• Newmannu08

I'll try this as well. Thanks!