Why won’t my Windows 8 tablet connect to a secure WiFi network at work?

Anonymous December 30, 2013

I cannot get my Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T1C-Windows 8 Pro tablet to connect to WiFi. It will work on my secured and password protected network at home, and on an unsecured “guest’ connection at work, but not on a secure network at work. Any ideas?

1. Scott T

Most corporate offices have strict policies on BYOD. Your device is likely not on an approved list to be connected on a secure network. Like mentioned by others- Talk to SysAdmin. This is the case where I work.

In addition to what has been said there could also be a technical issue with a mixed network (2,4GHz+5GHz) for the same SSID. Some devices supporting both don't know which one to chose and just refuse to connect at all.

But I this would probably be the same for the guest network so it is more likely the "secure" issue already explained before.

As dragonmouth mentions, the security features that are implemented would block unauthorized access, even if you know the login information. MAC Address filtering is what I would think is the main reason for inability to access the network.

Many businesses and corporations have BYOD (bring-your-own-device) policies, and the sys/network administrator would have to either allow or keep your device denied access. The security of the network is very important, and allowing any device to connect would be of high risk.

4. dragonmouth

Because it is a SECURE network. Only approved devices are allowed. Your tablet is obviously not approved for access. As Oron said - talk to your sys admin, although I would not get your hopes up.

It's impossible to know without more information about your work's network setup. The best option is to talk to your sysadmin at work!