Why won’t my TEAC DVD player play movies from my external hard drive?

Anonymous March 10, 2014

I’m trying to watch movies from from my external hard drive through my TEAC DVD player’s USB port, but it’s saying it is not supported or it’s empty. Any suggestions?

If the player does list the contents of the external hard drive but doesn't play them it most likely doesn't support the encoding of the files.

If the player doesn't list the contents and says "not supported or empty" when you try to access the hard drive it probably can't handle the file system.

If you state the model of your player we might be able to give you specifics. Personally I only found the following two:

DV5199
    supports only FAT and FAT32 formatted drives up to 16GB
    supports AVI, Divx, Xvid, DAT, MP3, WMA

DV228
    it doesn't list supported formats but probably the same as above
    supports only MMpeg 1/2, AVI, MP3 and WMA

Based on that information I would try a small USB thumb drive (max 16GB), formatted as FAT32 and see if that works with your files.

maybe it is not compatible had drive, or video format not compatible. You should get TEAC DVD player’s pdf manual, there should be some instructions based on TEAC DVD player’s model.