Why won’t my SD card mount and can how can I fix that?

February 10, 2014

Ive had this sd card 4GB for a year now but recently it started to say “Preparing, checking for errors…” like it usually does but after it;s finished it says “SD card safe to remove” and no matter how many times I try it won’t mount. I’ve reset my phone, connected it to my laptop and it won’t read. Is it possible that my SD card is fried?? I have pictures and music I really don’t want to lose so please help. I really need a last resort on this.

1. Rahul S

As per your description it seems that the memory card has gone down. You must use any recovery software and get the data recovered. Also kindly check with PC if it can be read.

2. Matthew H

It's not clear from your question if your phone can read the SD card. If not, it might be fried.

SD cards can fail. When they do, it's tragic. Did you take backups? Depending on your phone OS and your settings, you may have all your photos backed up onto Skydrive/Google's servers.

Also, have a look at this article. It might be of use. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-recover-data-from-a-corrupt-memory-card-or-usb-drive/

It sounds like your SD Card is damaged, but it may not be a hardware problem but only a problem with the file system. Try try to recover your files with a one of the data recovery packages listed at http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-windows-software#toc5 . I particularly recommend Recuva which, although not the most advanced, is very easy to use.

If you can't recover the data with a data recovery package, you could try a data recovery bureau (google "data recovery services" for a list). However, they are not cheap so you'll need to consider how much your files are worth to you.

If you do manage to recover the files, you could format the SD card and start again, but given the price of memory, and the value of the data, it may be safer to chuck it in the bin and get a new one.

insert the sd card to a reader and pluug to pc, if your pc can read it then backup the files on it and try to format