Why won’t my Samsung HT-Z320 play videos from a a 30 GB USB drive?

Jeff October 29, 2014

I have an older Samsung HT-Z320 Home Theater, and it won’t play videos on TV from a 30 GB USB drive.

I use a USB drive to play movies in Xvid Format. It works fine with 2 USB 2.0 gigabyte drives I use regularly. I recently purchased a 30 gigabyte USB 3.0 drive and the titles are recognized on the display but then it just flashes “Reading”.

Is 30 gigs is too much for the system? USB 3.0 is backwards compatible so it should read the avi file, albeit at a USB 2.0 speed. I have tried partitioning the drive to 2 gigabytes but got the same result. I know the system is on its last legs (DVD failed last year) but I can’t purchase a new one yet. I would appreciate any ideas… I’m stumped!

Two thoughts:
    1. USB 3.0 is entirely backwards compatible with USB 2.0, but the new standard gives out more power, so it's possible the stick requires more than the TV can give.
    2. As Fidelis said, have you checked the file format? You may need to reformat as FAT32 (FAT won't work for a drive this size).

Hello, Have you checked what formatting the 30 Gb is using? you might have to format it with FAT

from Samsung HT-Z320 pdf guid:
    •Supports USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 compliant devices.
    • Supports devices connected using the USB A type cable.
    • Supports UMS (USB Mass Storage Device) V1.0 compliant devices.
    • Supports the device of which the connected drive is formatted in the FAT(FAT, FAT16, FAT32) file system.

• Does not support a device that requires installing a separate driver on the PC (Windows).
    • Does not support connection to a USB hub.
    • A USB device that is connected using the USB extension cable may not be recognized.
    • A USB device requiring a separate power source needs to be connected to the player with the separate power connection.

• If the connected device has multiple drives (or partitions) installed, only one drive (or partition) can be connected.
    • A device supporting USB 1.1 alone may cause a difference in the picture quality, depending on the device.

1) Removable HDD4.
    • Removable HDDs equipped with less than 160 Gbytes are supported. Removable HDDs equipped with 160Gbytes or more may not be recognized, depending on the device.
    • If the connected device does not work due to insufficient power supply, you can use a separate power cable to supply power so that it can work properly. The connector of the USB cable may differ, depending on the manufacturer of the USB device.
    2) USB card Reader: One slot USB card reader and Multi slot USB card reader.
    • Depending on the manufacturer. the USB card reader may not be supported.
    • If you install multiple memory devices into a multi card reader, you may experience problems