Why won’t my PC recognise my external drive?

karishma shaikh October 13, 2014

I read your article External Drive Not Recognized? This Is How To Fix It In Windows External Drive Not Recognized? This Is How to Fix It in Windows External Drive Not Recognized? This Is How to Fix It in Windows Read More . It was very helpful till the second step and following the guide I tried to uninstall the external hard drive. It got uninstalled easily, but now it won’t get installed back. The LED light on the hard disk blinks but it doesn’t get detected. Please help!

1. Chris Hoffman

Uninstalling the drive should just have uninstalled the driver, and it's a USB device so it should automatically be recognized when you plug it back in.

So, I'd unplug the drive, reboot your computer, and then plug it back in. Windows should automatically notice it and pop up a notification bubble saying it recognizes a new device.

If this doesn't happen, I'm not sure what's wrong.

• Karishma

Even I thought that should have happened. The first time I plugged it in, the computer recognized it but failed to install it. After that computer shows I have a USB plugged in, but doesn't show my drive in the main section place.

• Karishma

And how can I reboot my computer then? Please help.

• Oron J

Karishma, there are two possibilities that come to mind:

1. Your drive is faulty. To test this, connect it to another PC (one which you have tested and are sure that it works with USB drives).

2. Your drive is fine and recognised by the system, but hasn't been assigned a drive letter. Run Windows Disk Management and look for your drive in the bottom half of the window. It'll probably be called "Disk 1", but you should confirm this by looking at the characteristics of the partition (e.g. size). If the partition is show as "Helathy" and Windows recognises its format (i.e. it shows NTFS, FAT32 or anything other than "RAW"), then right-click on it and choose "Change drive letter and paths...". Click on [Add], choose a drive letter for it and [OK] your way out. Open "Computer" and your drive should be there.

check this fix
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices
    which external hard drive you have? which windows version?
    when you uninstalled the driver did you delete it?

• Karishma

I have a Seagate extention portable device. N I use a Windows 7 32 bit. N m sure that I had just uninstalled it.

if you are not sure then download the updated driver from seagate.com
      there is seagate tools for windows, do a google search and download from seagate.com