Why won’t my new Samsung ATIV Tab 3 charge fully?

May 10, 2014

Just received the Samsung ATIV Tab 3 and it won’t charge fully. My daughter has an identical one so I tried her power cord and still won’t go past 88%. Any thoughts? Bought through Amazon. Can’t find Samsung support — would be happy to see what they would do since it is brand new and supposedly and under warranty. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would run the battery down until it shuts off, press the power button for about 20-30 seconds, and then place the Tab onto the charger while it is still shut off. Power resets are easier/better to perform with removable batteries or the battery disconnected.

The battery calibration seems to be off, which is why the battery reading only says 88% instead of being fully charged. The battery may fully charge with the Tab turned off while charging. When fully charged, unplug the charger, turn on the Tab, and then let the battery drain to almost fully discharged, about 5-10%, before placing the Tab on the charger again. It may take a few times of performing these last steps (charge fully and let the battery discharge to 5-10%) before the battery becomes recalibrated.

You can try out BatteryBar Basic free edition to check the battery stats and if it shows a full battery as opposed to what Windows states. If the BatteryBar application states the battery as full and the mAH is at around 3610mAH, the battery is fine, but Windows is misreading the battery.

2. Cindra

Thank you Hovsep A - tried this and it still not charging fully. It is looking like a battery issue I guess.

well if it is battery problem then you have to replace it, this is a quick fix and hope is not not the USB port problem. Other you can check another charger first.

do a hard reset (first backup your files, songs, videos, pictures... because they will be deleted) now see if it will charge fully, if not can be battery problem or hardware.