Why won’t my laptop start up?

August 7, 2014

Hiya, I’m a bit old and a bit unsure how to use Technology. My laptop refuses to open for me – no matter what! I eventually got back into it in safe mode and it came up with an audio issue. I checked and apparently I must’ve unloaded Registry log.reg. I just came here to look into what I need to do now, any help would be very gratefully appreciated.

1. Amrit K

try to restore it.
    If nothing works pop a win cd or insert a bootable pendrive with Windows and reinstall it.

if it is audio problem
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/audioplayback/
    i think Microsoft fix it tools can’t run in safe mode

if you have windows cd you can boot on it and choose startup repair. which version of windows you have? and which laptop?

3. Ben S

Agreed with Oron. I'd like to hash this out as well but we need more info. Anything else you can tell us would be appreciated.

Hi,

I think we need a little more information to understand teh actual problem. First of all, which version of Windows is it - Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 (if you don't know, then tell us when you bought the laptop and we'll make an educated guess).

Secondly, when you say your laptop "won't open for me", do you mean that 1) it starts up, shows the "loading Windows" screen but won't allow you to log in,
    2) it allows you to log in but then freezes or crashes,
    3) it never gets to the login screen?
    4) something else?

Thirdly, I don't quite understand yoru description of the problems in Safe mode. Did you have a problem with audio in Safe Mode, or did you receive a message about audio in Safe mode? And likewise, can you explain the "Registry log.log" issue in more detail?

I appreciate that you are not a technical person and may have difficulty in describing these things, but without an accurate description of the problem we are pretty lost too, so any further information would be much appreciated.