Why won’t my laptop read my SD card?

Cherylmurray1959 June 13, 2014

My laptop won’t read my SD card.

If you are using a third party software to check for driver updates, I would uninstall it, especially if it is something like UniBlue. These apps are mostly junk that tricks you into thinking several drivers are out of date when in fact they are not. Best choice is using Windows Update and the computer's manufacturer support website, such as support.hp.com, to look up your computer and Windows version, and check to see if there are any updates listed for your system.

Follow the rest of the suggestions to try to get the issue resolved. If you still need help, we will be here.

It's very unlikely this is related to a driver being out of date. A few possible scenarios that would explain this are:
    Your card is not compatible with your card. High capacity cards in particular (e.g. 32GB) will only work of very modern card readers. You can test this by trying a lower capacity card on your laptop.
    Your SD card reader is faulty. Again, testing with another card will help to establish this.
    The driver of your SD card reader is faulty (corrupt, not out of date). You can check this in the Device Manager as explained below.

Go into the search box in the Start menu, type "Device Manager" and select the program, which will be listed a the top of the menu.
    You will get a list of device "classes" which are can be expanded to show individual devices. The reader may be listed under "Disk Drives", Universal Serial Bus Controllers" or elsewhere (sorry, I don't make the rules...) or, if it is faulty, it may also be listed under "other devices". At any rate, try to identify it, and see if there's a yellow icon with an exclamation mark on it, or a red X. If there's a red X, right-click on the device and choose "enable". If it's the exclamation mark, right click, choose "Properties" and look under the "General" and "Details" tab to find out what the fault is. If the error is not obvious, there are two things you can try:
    1. Uninstall the device (right-click on it and choose "uninstall"), then reboot the computer and let it reinstall the drivers.
    2. If (1) didn't resolve the problem, update the driver as explained by Bruce.

3. cheryl murray

i am not getting any message when i insert my sd card it is just not showing up when i click on computer so i can't format it, it is working on my hubby laptop but all my downloads of my fave programs are on my laptop so ive had to download them all again on my hubby's laptop then i pasted them to the sd card, i have done a check on my laptop and it scanned it and said 7 divers were out of date but i have to pay for them to be fixed, i am on windows 7 ultimate. thanks p.s how do i go to device manager to check the card reader, not very good on things like this

• Bruce E

You should not need to pay for driver updates. Check the manufacturer's website under the support section to find the latest drivers for your computer. If you are doing a driver scan with another utility, you cannot always rely on them for accurate information about driver versions and they frequently pull them from non-authoritative locations which cannot always be trusted to be clean. Many drivers can be also updated directly from Windows Update which have the advantage of undergoing at least some testing by Microsoft before being offered via WU.

That being said, if there isn't any indication that your card reader needs a driver update, updating it would not be likely to solve your problem anyway.

compatibility problem with some sd card, perhaps the sd card has problems, or driver in this case go to device manager and check the card reader driver

5. Alan W

Perhaps if you take the time to type out a few details so we can take the time to help you!

Can you provide more details? First of all, what error message are you getting? Secondly, what have you tried so far - have you tested your SD card on another computer (or other device)? Also, what version of Windows are you using (if you're using Windows at all, if not, what system do you have?).