Why won’t my iPhone 4 charge?

Anonymous July 6, 2014

Iphone 4 won’t charge. If I do get the low battery logo and then attach charger cable to mains or PC, then the apple logo appears after a few seconds. It won’t go away and although connected, the phone doesn’t charge and stays showing the apple logo.

Reset doesn’t help. PC does not recognise phone is connected when iTunes is on. PC does not recognise a device is connected when iTunes is off.

1. Alan C

Restoring my phone in recovery mode worked thank you.
    Now I wonder what caused it to go wron!
    Two things have been different lately:
    1 I have been unable to verify the latest update (until this recovery)
    2 I have just used a pebble smartstick to recharge this phone twice and wonder if this can have lead to problems.
    Any thoughts on this as I obviously don't want a recurrence of this problem.
    Thanks again

• Jan F

I wouldn't fixate on something specific as there are various options to what could have caused it and solutions to it. There are reports that simply singing out and back in with the Apple ID solves verification errors, corrupt download, no connection to the iTunes servers with common solutions being downloading again, reset network settings (if you are downloading on the device itself), etc.

Given the issues you described I would say there simply was something wrong with the firmware on the iPhone. iOS isn't flawless and sometimes a full restore does fix issues. I had (rare) cases where user data and therefor the backup was corrupt and users had to start over with their device.

Usually when the battery is low the iPhone will stay at the low battery/charging screen until it has enough power to turn on. This initial charging can take 10-30 minutes.

If your iPhone is stuck at the Apple logo and doesn't go past it then there is a problem with booting the firmware.

You can try restoring the phone in recovery mode:
    1. connect your iPhone to the USB cable
    2. hold Sleep/Power and Home button until the iPhone reboots
    3. when the screen turns black release Sleep/Power but keep holding the Home button
    4. when you see the iTunes Logo on the iPhone Screen you can release Home
    5. open iTunes and use the Restore option for the iPhone

Try the same in DFU Mode:
    1. connect the iPhone to the USB Cable and open iTunes
    2. turn off the iPhone
    3. press and hold Sleep/Power and Home button for 10 seconds
    4. release the Sleep/Power button but keep Home pressed
    5. iTunes should recognize an iPhone in recovery mode
    the iPhones screen should be black this time

If none of this works I would assume it's a hardware issue e.g. dead battery, overheating, damaged internal components. Either way the proper thing to do is seeking help from a professional, either where you got the phone (probably your provider?) or an Apple authorized service provider.