Why won’t these files copy to an external drive, stating the file cannot be found?

Tmbuss89 May 19, 2014

I just got a Toshiba 500GB external hard drive, I am trying to move my MP3 files to it but I keep getting this error: “cannot copy (file name): Cannot find the specific file. Make sure you specify the correct path And filename.”

Please help, I have Windows xp and want to clean this computer out because it is very old.

Any suggestions on why the file won’t copy? Thank you!

1. Teresa

Problem #1 the computer does not have Wi-Fi and I got rid of the external antenna I had a long time ago.
    So this makes it that I cannot download anything from the internet.

Not sure where I can find the main root of the mp3 but when the music was put on the computer they were downloaded into this folder on my desktop so I'm pretty sure it is not the short cut. I searched through my computer and all the drives to try and find it elsewhere so I'm pretty sure it is not a shortcut.

I will try putting a simple note pad file on the drive and if that works I will try a picture file.

Will update soon when I get a chance to try this!

Thanks for all the responses and tips, keep them coming I appreciate it!

2. Guardone

I also have had problems witha toshiba external drive. Is it USB3.
    Initially try saving a simple notepad file to the drive. close down and reboot and establish that you can still read and load the file.txt from the toshiba. Then save a much larger file eg a photo to the toshiba. If that works ok, you know that your drive and cable are good. My problem is that I can save to my toshiba, but when attaching it to another pc, both windows 7, the second pc cannot see the files, but can see the folders. Another help forum also featured my problem but no one has an answer.

If your drive and cable and usb port on the pc are proven reliable, then logically the problem lies in the disk containing the original mp3 files. Will these copy to elsewhere in the system? Are you copying from the actual folder or from a shortcut? Try using a different usb port, and make sure in device manager that all of your usb ports are functioning. please reply here as to how you get on, thanks G1

You need to narrow down the problem so you can find out if it's a problem with a particular file, a corrupt folder (on either the source or the destination side) or something else.

I would suggest running a folder synchronisation program (I use FreeFileSync, but recent versions have been bundled with adware, so you may want to try a different program). Set it up for a one-directional sync (which is essentially the same as an ordinary copy), and run it. It will copy files but will either skip problematic ones or fail at some point.

Now, depending on the program you use, there may be a log that will show you which file(s) caused the problem. If not, run the sync utility again, but this time only compare the folders. The results will indicate where the problem lies. Also, the error message from the folder-sync'er may shed some light on the nature of the problem. It may be that the file's name contains a character which is not allowed, such as or :, or that the file itself is damaged. At any rate, you'll learn something from that, and if necessary, you can come back to us with more information and we'll try to help you resolve the problem.

•Re-create the folder on your PC, and then copy or move the file to the folder.
    •Copy or move the file to a different folder on your PC.