Why won’t my external hard drive show up on my Windows 8 PC?

Gurjot S July 3, 2014

WD drive not showing in My Computer.

I have a WD My Passport 1TB external drive , it just stopped showing up – no autorun – nothing !!

However, it is showing up here :

Eject USB device

But not here, nor in the device manager.

Windows Explorer I tried changing the cables, ports but no success !!! The light on the drive glows when connected also the fan in it is also working fine.

Any help is appreciated !! thanks :)

1. Tina S

We also have an excellent article on the topic in general:
    External Drive Not Recognized? This Is How To Fix It In Windows

2. Alan W

In Disk Management right click on the Disk and select Initialise.

If the devic appers in the "Eject USB" window then it has to be in the device manager too (although it might appear under a different name). I can think of two scenarios to explain what is happening:

1. The drive itself is fine, but for some reason it's not associated with a drive letter in Explorer. Run Windows Disk Management and see if it shows up there. If it does, right click on the main partition of the drive and choose "Change Drive letter and paths...". Click "Add" and choose a drive letter. OK your way out and all will be well.
    2. The drive is faulty. More specifically, the bridge (the electronic unit which conneccts it to the PC) is OK, but the drive's own electronics are faulty. You would need to get in touch with WD's support to get that repaired, if it's even worth doing.
    • Gurjot S

this is what my disk management shows ... disk not initialised !!

http://static.dyp.im/VvctsvvjJz/d4f7ebe239e9ae9d44348b40dc0cd15d.jpg

• Oron J

Alright. That's good news and bad news... The bad news is you've probably lost your data (you may be able to recover it using data recovery softwarw, but if it's not critical, better to just accept the loss).

The good news is it'll be very easy to get it up and running again by initialising the disc, as explained by others here?

go to device manager
    1) Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller
    2) Uninstall each Generic USB Hub (do not delete drivers), your mouse and keyboard will stop working, so before this schedule a reboot.
    see if it will work, also do try Alan suggestion; Let us know the result.

5. Alan W

Have you updated your drivers/software to the latest version?
    http://support.wdc.com/

• Gurjot S

yes ..! already updated the drivers to the latest version .. no success!!