Why won’t burned DVDs play on my Blu-Ray player?

March 25, 2014

I have an iMac computer and I have a Samsung blue ray player. When I download a dance lesson to DVD, it will play on my computer, but not on my blue ray player. Movies and previously burnt DVDs also will play on my blue ray player. What do I have to do to get new burns to play on my blue ray? Is it some sort of a format issue? I’ve tried dvd+ and -, as well as dvd/rw, which i do a complete format, before burning.

1. Fern A.

It is not that the DVD player is unprotected, older players you could record and play any downloads, movies, dvd's etc...
    New players come with a protection chip to prevent exactly that, now a days if you create a dvd with a downloaded movie chances are it will not play on the dvd but will play on your computer it may also start to play for a few minutes then go black screen because of the protection

2. Madve1

You can try, to put that video on a pendrive, than try to play on your blueray from that pendrive. If it will played, then it is a problem with the way, how you burn it on a disc, if it is not, then you have an unsupported video file format. In this case you will need a converter app to convert your file to a supported format, before you burn it to a disc.

3. Gary LaPointe

Have your tried the problematic DVD on a different DVD player (not a computer)? Maybe it's not the player's fault and then you can rule that out. (If the computer created it, playing it is easy, but it might not work on any player)

4. Chris M

I remember occasionally having issues if I'd burned an iso to dvd using Windows 7's built in burning utility.
    ~For instance, backing up my kid's DVD's using DVD Shrink to create the iso, then writing the iso to disk...
    Using ImgBurn to write the image would come out fine.

5. Robert Ruedisueli

It may be that the DVD is unprotected. A handful of Blu-Ray players, particularly early ones, refuse to play unprotected DVDs. (Another one of the MPAA's brilliant ideas.)

Other major things that prevent proper playback is that not all players support VBR (Variable Bit Rate)encoding on DVDs.

You may also be burning as a Data-DVD not a video-DVD. This can cause some players to reject the disk, except DivX certified ones as Howard B pointed out.

As a note on Howard B's comment. Many newer Blu-Ray players also support OGG-Theora format video and WebM-VP8 codec. However, acceptance of these standards is a little more recent so older players that have not had their firmware updated won't support them. You can find lots of info on various video codecs on Wikipedia.

As of the best solution: Since most Blu-Ray players support playing video files from a thumb drive, you may want to try just doing that. Make sure to convert them to a format the player can read first.

6. Howard B

Video DVDs require a folder called VIDEO_TS, containing .VOB files, plus some info files (.IFO) that describe the menu structure and chapter information for the .VOB files.

Many newer Blu-Ray players (notice no "e" in Blu-Ray) will play back .AVI, .MKV, .MP4, .MP2, .MOV, .RM, .RMVB, and other file formats without converting them to .VOB (MP2, or MPEG Layer 2) format. It may be easier investing in a new Blu-Ray or DVD player than taking the time to convert all the files; just go into your nearest store and look for the "DivX" logo on the box, or look up the specs before buying.

perhaps somehow are protected and not valid to play on standalone home players?
    maybe is a problem SD DVD HD DVD, try to export to SD DVD?

How to burn project to DVD so it can be viewed on any DVD player?
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/24154890#24154890

It's probably a matter of preparing the video as a Video DVD. Mac will happily play video files in a variety of formats, whether they're stored on the hard drive, (data) DVD or some other storage device. It will also play Video DVDs, which have a very specific format and structure. Your Bluray player will only play such DVDs, and not video files written onto data DVDs. Have a look at https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3711 to get an idea of how to go about creating such a DVD.

9. Jeff F

What software are you using to burn the files exactly? This is a problem with how you are burning the files. I guarantee it. You should read your Blu-Ray Player's manual to determine what configuration changes you need to make in your burner to make it compatible with your player. Your software burner must support all the formats that you are writing to. For example, if you're creating a Blu-Ray disk, your software burner must support writing to a Blu-Ray disk. Also, make sure that you're burning in standard definition.

Ensure your Blu-Ray player supports the disk format you are using (BDR, BDRE, etc.)
    Lower your software write speed to 4x

Blu-ray Disc doesn't play

• Joe

I'm using whatever software apple has in it's operating system. As for my owners manual, The machine was repackaged and then resold to me, without my knowledge until I opened it. I had to go to samsungs web site and download the manual. I read through it, and could find nothing about the supporting formats, but I will go over it again to see if I missed something. I have burnt cds on the same computer as I tried to burn the dvds with, and they played just fine. I did try to burn at a slower speed with no luck.