Why won’t browsers launch on my PC?

March 28, 2014

I downloaded two new browsers on my PC (Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox) but they wont open. I’ve been using only one browser (Internet Explorer) and sometimes it wont respond quickly and I have to wait awhile for it to start. What can I do?

1. glraz

I also had this problem with Firefox after an updated to 28 was applied yesterday. It ran fine before the update now nothing just shows up as a process running. I have uninstalled deleted the firefox folder and rebooted several times. IE and Chrome still work but i prefer firefox. I have run malware with nothing found. At a loss of what to do as I would really like to use firefox again. thanks.

After you downloaded them, did the installation proceed normally? Usually the browser will start immediately after installation - did this happen? If not, what happened instead, did you get an error, or just nothing?

I would scan the computer for viruses and malware, clean the system with CCleaner, and check for unnecessary startup programs either in CCleaner's Tools tab or MS Configuration tool (msconfig.exe that can be invoked by clicking Start and typing msconfig.exe in the search box). Without more information about your system and setup, it is difficult to give more helpful advice.

4. Tinkicker

I noticed this question because I have the inverse issue...IE won't run on my desktop but every other browser will. It will, however, run on my laptop (both Windows 7). I'm not looking for an answer to that...believe me I've Googled ad-nauseum...and it's a well-documented and fairly common issue.
    I guess I'm just letting you know you're not alone in your frustration, and I really hope somebody gives you a useful answer.

5. Nilan

once u open it go to process view of the task manager, if you can see the process of your browser running (Example : firefox.exe) it means that either its being blocked by a sofware(virus) or by your admin.

• Bruce E

If you can see the process in the list, it means that it started in which case it is NOT being blocked by anything.

did you use portable chrome, firefox?
    is it your own pc, or the administrator somehow restrict to IE usage?

7. Rebecca Z

Your browsers should probably launch. If it is an old computer, it just takes a long time, but the browsers will load. I have a laptop and desktop that are 10+ years old running Windows XP. The software just takes a while. Both of them run Firefox and the latest versions. It may be because there is not enough ram installed or the processor is old. The laptop I know only has .99 gb of ram installed on it and the desktop takes even longer to even load anything. Otherwise, it may be a virus or malware. You should do a virus scan to make sure.

8. Jeff F

What are your system specs? Your PC may not be suitable to run modern software.