Why won’t apps for my Android phone install on the SD card?

Angiera.averin April 25, 2014

I have an Android phone that has around 250mb of internal memory. I have a 32GB memory card but the problem is it keeps showing that it has low memory. It seems like though I select the apps to install on the SD card some of the files gets stored into the internal memory. What should I do? I need some of these apps to work with but very low space. I also tried link2sd but my memory card is not getting formatted into ext.

1. Spam Sam

You should have your phone rooted and you should probably know how to manually create the extra partition before trying to do anything.

• Angiera.averin

My phone is rooted and I do know how to manually create extra partition too.

• Spam Sam

Yeap. Try using the "mount2sd" app as I said in my previous post. Search for it in the Play Store.

2. Spam Sam

1. Create an extra partition on your microSDHC, make it ext2.

2. Learn about this app and use it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spazedog.mounts2sd,move everything except Dalvik Cache to the external.

3. Robert R

1. Try reducing the number of installed apps by removing the ones you don't use. It is always good to periodically do this even if you have enough space.

2. Try moving any of the updated system apps to the system partition, remove bloatware from the system partition, and move over some of the apps that won't move to SD over to your system partition.

3. Examine the filesystem (using either a command prompt or a nice file manager) and remove any cruft. Always make sure to uninstall apps through the Android stock App Management utility whenever posible to make sure uninstall scripts are properly run, and app data and cache directories are properly deleted, thus reducing cruft.

4. Make sure all data (e.g. images, music, videos, etc,) is moved over to the SD card. This can take up a LOT of space.

• Angiera.averin

Thank you. Yes, it works, but I really need to install these apps for my study purposes as well. So, I will need a decent app to extend a memory a bit?

4. Julian A

Whether this is possible may depend on the model of your phone. You didn't say what yours is?
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and as far as I know, it's just not possible on that phone. Mine's rooted, too.
    It may be possible with a custom ROM? Even then, I'm not sure...

• Angiera.averin

Mine is color X-16, xfactor. It worked fine with my cousin in the same type of device and he was the one to suggest me about extending the memory.

5. Erise

I use an app called FolderMount - you can try it out for free (up to like 2 or 3 folders), but you'll have to pay to unlock the ability to mount more folders. It basically moves the folder to your sd card while creating a link to your emulated SD card. Also, root is required. It works like a charm - tried it with big apps like Fifa and other games, and they work fine. Just remember to 'pin' the folder once you've set up the link. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.fmount)

• Angiera.averin

Will it clean some space on my internal memory so that I can use it for some other purposes?

Correctly partition your sd-card for extended memory use
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2125513

how to manually partition your sd card for android apps2sd
    http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news/how-to-manually-partition-your-sd-card-for-android-apps2sd/

• Angiera.averin

I tried to do make two primary partitions on my sdcard, One of them as Fat32 as the space was over 2gb, the other was ext3 at first. The mini tool partition wizard, successfully did it but when I put the sdcard into the phone and started link2sd it said , "no such device" , mounting failed. I tried to make ext2. But it failed too, and it still shows that it has both partitions in my computer though.

• Angiera.averin

The first one worked for me. Thank you very much. Now it's working fine.

thanks for your feedback, glad that it worked for you, enjoy your android apps and plenty space:)

You might have to partition your SD card to ext2 (not ext3 or 4) in Primary mode, but your phone must be rooted for Links2SD to work. Here is a guide, originally taken from XDA-Developers, that tells how to set up the SD card and Links2SD.

If you need a method to root your phone, SRSRoot may be able to help, just check to see if your phone is supported (it may or may not work on your phone if it isn't listed).

Having a rooted device and a partitioned SD card (with 2 primary partitions as would be created by the guides listed above), more data from each app would be moved to the SD card. Without this, you only move a portion of the app, leaving data on the internal storage and causing the low storage space error you are seeing. Creating a second primary partition and using Link2SD tricks the system into thinking the external storage partition is the internal storage instead, allowing almost a full install to the external storage.

• Angiera.averin

Nope, I tried with ext2 too, but it is not working. And yes, it is rooted. I also read the Link you provided. Thank you.

• Dalsan M

If you could give us the model of phone and what Android version the phone is running, we may be able to find a better solution.

You could try AppMgr III instead and see if it works, but the main issue may be a properly partitioned SD card and if the internal storage emulates a primary external storage.

Another option, though you would need to use Titanium Backup to backup the apps and settings just in case your apps become broken, is External 2 Internal as seen in this video. It has worked for some users, but I don't like that it could break apps or some functionality.

• Angiera.averin

yes, the phone model is colors x16, and the android version I am using is 2.3.5. I will try appmgr today. Let me see how it work. Thank you.