Why does my WOL enabled PC hosting a website wake on its own?

Christian Thompson August 20, 2012

I have a PC that host website. I also use this PCas network storage and media servers.

I have Wake-on-LAN (WOL) enabled (without remote management) and I can get the PC to wake from standby (when it works) when someone accesses the websites or it’s ping’d. The problem I have is that since I have done Windows updates (120) the PC instantly wakes up when put to sleep. I do powercfg -lastwake and it is the network card. I can not get the PC to stay asleep and only wake when I request it or when websites are accessed.

If I enable management WOL the PC does not wake at all. Perfect, but then it also does not wake when someone is on the website or when I ping it.

Does anyone know what’s going on? Can I have it the way I want it without it waking itself? It seems there is something on the network side from the router that is waking the PC! I have used wireshark programme and I don’t know what I should be looking for that’s waking the pc!

Is there a way I can integrate magic packet onto my websites so when someone accesses the website that it wakes the pc? Or is there a way i can find out what’s waking the pc on the network and disable it?

FYI: I am running Server Enterprise 2008 (mainly for iis7 and ADDC)

Thank you for your help in advance.

1. venkatp16

may any of the windows updates and WOL have incompatiability. did you try taking the system to old state and check if updates is cauing the issue.

• Christian Thompson

Hi, thanks for Your help.

The problem is I do not know what update (if that's the cause) is causing it. When I installed and the updates they were done in bulk. I can not 100% confirm that this problem is related to windows updates

• venkatp16

i've understood that you are running IIS7. Could you please check something that got installed for this

• Christian Thompson

Sorry I don't understand. Yes I installed iis7, I don't believe this is the fault. I have blocked all incoming ports in the firewall and still I have the same problem and powercfg -last wake still says its the LAN card!

You had the right idea with Wireshark. Just filter for the WOL protocol to find the source of the packets that are waking the server.

• Christian Thompson

Hi, thank you so much for getting back to me. I do appreciate your help. Just one thing I'm not sure of . . . . I don't know what protocols I should be looking out for to stop. Do you know what protocols the system is looking for to wake it?

In the protocol list, there is one labeled 'WOL'. That's all you need to look for.