How can I get wireless working on Atheros chipsets running Ubuntu?

Gavin April 30, 2011

Can anyone provide a detailed guide on how to get wireless working properly on my Acer Aspire One 110AB netbook that uses Atheros wireless chipset?

1. G

Cheers guys - it just seems no matter what I do the signal is just really weak with the Atheros chipset - I had an improvement installing Linux Mint but the signal drops as soon as I enter a different room - gonna look for a new wireless adapter instead but thanks though :(

Thanks a lot for the feedback and too bad you couldn't fix the issue. Good luck with new hardware!

2. Ari.

I encountered a similar situation where Ubuntu was unable to recognize the wireless. Later, I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 11.04 and everything is fine. Yay! :)

Hello, you might want to read the content of the following page. There is a file for download that supposedly works with your netbook model.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download#Directly_downloading_the_tarball

4. Danny Stieben

Many Atheros wireless chipsets are supposed to be supported out-of-the-box in Ubuntu because there are a handful of open source drivers for them. I myself have an Atheros chipset and it works fine in multiple distros. However, I more than likely do not have the same chipset as you do if you are running into problems.

Since Ubuntu 11.04 released two days ago, I would first recommend that you try it out. It contains an extremely new kernel, which might now have support for your chipset. If the chip still isn't supported, I suggest that you find out the exact chipset model from the manufacturer and enter that into Google.

Another thing you can try is to use ndiswrapper. It is a utility that can use Windows XP wireless drivers in .ini format in order to make wireless chipsets work in Linux. If you can find some Windows XP drivers for your chipset and extract the .ini files out of them, try using them with ndiswrapper.

Good luck!