Why does my wireless network randomly disconnect and reconnect?
Question by lily /

I’ve changed my connection password, but the network occasionally disconnects by itself on my computer and then after awhile, it connects by itself again. Why is that?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• laile

the same thing happens to mine. also it pocesses things extremely slow.is the problem with my computer or the wireless dc

• Zak299

Hello, i got smiler problem with my connection, and solve it by by defining the ip  address of my pc manually, try to do that it works for me

• Spvinu0605

I am also having the same problem even though I unchecked the power saving option. Please help me to solve this. Also it occurs only Vista and not in my mobile and windows xp laptop…

Lily,

were you able to make your wireless network more stable? We’re curious to learn how you did it. Also let us know in case you need more help. Thank you!

Hello, when your connection disconnects try pinging your gateway address. This is how to do it:
    — start
    — run
    — cmd
    — ipconfig /all
    — find gateway address
    — type, ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (your gateway address)
    — it should connect you again

These can be cause by different things. For example, what is your lease time on your router? Go into your router configuration and check what the leasing time for addresses is. Lease time can be set to hours, days, etc. Set your leasing time for a week or so, and see what happens.

It can also be caused by interference, either at your place or also it could be interference on the channels. Go into router configuration and check what your broadcasting channels is. Open your wireless connection menu and check if there is/are any routers close to you using the same channel. If there is any, try changing your channel to one less used.

Also, you might want to update drivers for your network card and update the firmware for your router.

Also, check your power management settings for network card. Getting to the power management settings can change depending on your operating system. This is the long way of doing it.

— windows key + Pause/break (same time)
    — click on hardware tab
    — click on device manager
    — find and expand Network adapters heading
    — locate and highlight your wireless adapter
    — right click on properties
    — on menu click on Power Management
    — uncheck where it is Allow computer to turn off this device to save power
    — click ok
    — control panel

Hi
    wireless network randomly disconnect
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910387

go in to properties for the WIRED network adapter on the power management tab, uncheck “allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.

The cause of this is the Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) service. This service, enabled by default in Windows XP Service Pack 2, is designed to optimize the use of wireless network technology by constantly scanning for other wireless networks. This process has been known to cause clients to randomly drop their wireless connection. The best method for alleviating this problem is to use third party software to manage your wireless connection. This software will almost always be provided with the driver for the wireless card you are using. Once you have this software installed you will want to disable the WZC service to prevent it from loading at startup.

1. “Change advanced settings” in the Wireless Network Connection Dialog
    2. In the tab “wireless”, select the network, and click advanced.
    3. change some random setting
    4. click OK and OK
    5. Step 1 and 2 again
    6. restore the random setting