Are all wireless network antennas made equal?

Caitlin September 9, 2011

This might be a bit silly but….
I have a Linksys WRT54GC router with a connector for an external antenna. My HP Media Centre m7690n PC came with an external antenna that is meant to be attached to the PC for better wireless network reception.

I can’t find any specific info about the antenna (and there’s no markings on it), but it looks identical to the antennas you see with routers. Will this antenna work in the router? More importantly, could I harm anything if I just stick it on and see what happens?

1. Caitlin

Oh, yes, I wasn't going to force it on. :)
    Thanks to both of you!

Antenna differ in their gain [dBi/dBd] and their type [omni-directional, directional] although most of those standard antennas are omni-directional. Another difference is the connector used, there are Type N, TNC, SMA and MC/Lucent. The wireless card itself usually has the female connector and the antenna male. TNC & SMA are also available as RP-TNC & RP-SMA which stands for "reverse polarity".

Technically you cannot really break something but you could physically damage the antenna or connector. I didn't find any information about the HP antenna either so I can only recommend to proceed with caution.