Why does my wireless mouse not work properly?
Question by John /

I have recently obtained a HP wireless mouse that came with the purchase of a laptop and while I first tested the hardware, it was fine. The cursor moved sharply, but after a month has passed, the cursor started to act strange: when I steer the mouse, it would struggle to move and might move into another direction. I thought there must be something wrong with the batteries, however, the batteries aren’t worn off. Time after time, it would behave strangely, then normally.

What could be causing this?

• Cornhuskerboy2003

I have a Hp wireless mouse and keyboard. And the cursor and typing on the computer for search engine I can’t do. The batteries are fine on keyboard and mouse. Nothing works when I try to click on the search engine or type period. So what is the solution to this dilemna?? I am using someones computer to find my answer. Please reply!

• Sexiboy727

what is wrong with my mouse? .. everything works on it but the left cliker.. can you help me? because its getting annoying 

• Margaretsoun

my wireless mouse keeps stopping so i have to turn it on and off

I forgot to mention, have you disconnected the mouse and check if the problem is still there? If the movement is still erratic when using the touchpad, you probably have a problem with the touchpad. Try disabling the touch pad and see if that helps.

• John

It still have the same effect, disabling the touchpad or enabling it won’t help.

Also when using a pad make sure you are using it on a even surface. Also try to make sure there are no high contrast text or images on the pad.

After you make sure your mouse is clean, try taking the batteries off, put them back on and check if your receiver has a reset. If it is a usb receiver, unplug it and then plug it back in. Hope it helps

what kind of wireless connection is your mouse using? Bluetooth or something else?

From your description, the most likely cause is a problem with the radio frequency, i.e. a distortion of the signal. Did you bring another wireless / Bluetooth device to the house around the same time the problems started to occur? It could be a microwave oven, a wireless remote control, or another wireless device.

It could also be the surface you’re working on. Is it always the same or does it change? Maybe the mouse acts strange when operated on a specific surface. For example it could work great on your desk, but acts weird when you’re on the sofa or kitchen table. Solution would be to use a mouse pad.

I guess it’s a standard optical mouse. Maybe the optics are dirty or broken. You could try to carefully clean the photo diode with a Q-tip.

the reviews for that mouse reveal that many people have the same issues you describe. That doesn’t bring us any closer to the cause as some people seem to be satisfied with the product.

Do you use WiFi in your house or could a neighbor be using it?
      If it’s not the surface you’re using it likely is another signal that causes the issues. It’s a wireless mouse, unfortunately the HP page doesn’t specify on which bandwidth it signals. Any details on the mouse itself or on the packaging if still available?

Did you try to update the mouse driver?