How can I keep the wireless connection from laptop to printer from disappearing?
Question by Pat /

I have HP Photosmart C8100 wireless printer and Dell Windows XP Professional laptop, also wireless. The wireless router is a Linksys 54G.

About every three months my wireless connection to printer disappears into thin air. HP will NOT help me to renew the connection. I’ve read everything & have not found a solution on how to wirelessly reconnect or how to keep from losing wireless connection. Everyone says “no problem”, but I get no help.

I’m a senior person & don’t wish to carry laptop to printer in other room everytime I want to print something, which is often. I’m sure there has to be a fairly simple solution to get my wireless connection to printer restored, but I’m begging for help in knowing how to do that.

Hey Pat,

Didi you manage to fix the issue? Assigning a static IP address as suggested by Certi_sue should do the trick.

• Certi_sue

Tina has some good questions, your answers will help with troubleshooting. One problem I have observed occurs if you have not set up a static IP address for your printer (sometimes an IP address is sticky which might explain why it works OK for a while).

• Pgoddard

Apparently, I have not, as I’m not sure how to do that. It sure sounds like a positive thing to help my problem. Can you explain how I accomplish this?
      I appreciate so very much any help I receive.

• Certi_sue

You need to have your pc & printer on and determine what the current ip address of your printer is. You can try by printing a self test/configuration page from your printer. If you see an ip address, subnet address, and default gateway you have the information you need. Enter the ip address into a browser window on your PC. Look through the menus of the online printer configuration and find the section for entering a manual or static ip address. Assign an address which is outside the range of addresses assigned by your router. I am assuming defaults are being used for the example numbers I am giving you – If true then this router by default assigns 50 numbers. – represents the dynamic addressed assigned. Give your printer a manual ip address of something like a number greater than the range of ip addresses assigned by the router, a subnet mask of and a default gateway (which is the same as your router’s ip address) Save your settings.
      Next you must go into the printer properties for this printer on the PC in the other room. Go to Control Panel/Printers. Right click & select properties of the printer, select port tab, make sure your printer is selected, select configure port, and enter and same the static ip address you assigned to your printer.
      In summary the idea is to assign a static ip address to your printer that is outside the range of addresses dynamically assigned by your router. Then enter that static ip address in the printer port settings in your PC.
      If more help is needed let us know.

• Pgoddard

I’m looking at a Diagnostics Summary which I printed after last successful connection with printer.
      In the first section, I have “Pass” for everything, excellent connection. Last line in first section says “other networks detected matching your network name (SSID)….answer is “No”. I assumed that to be a good thing????????
      The Configuration Summary includes SSID, IP Address,etc.
      This was a successful connection……… so, needless to say, I’m still at a loss.

Pat,could you please add a few more details.How exactly did you set up the wireless connection on your computer?When it stops working, what exactly happens?Does the printer no longer detect the network or do settings on your computer disappear etc.What have you done in the past to restore the connection?Did you try to reboot your wireless router, computer, and printer to fix it?

• Pgoddard

HP helped me set it up initially. I have tried rebooting everything.
      When I check control panel for printers, my HP no longer exists. HP has helped me once before to reconnect and I have repeatedly asked them why I have this problem & how to correct it myself; but they refuse to share this info with me. I have no idea why I lose the wireless connection. There’s been no incidents like severe storms, internet problems, etc. I’ve also tried reinstalling printer with original disc. I’ve talked to techs at Best Buy to no avail. They never offer any suggestions or where to turn for help. I’m convinced there is a fairly simple solution…but I don’t know where to begin. Thanks for your time!

Are you saying the HP printer disappears from your list of printers in Windows?
      That should not happen. Maybe it’s not your printer, but Windows and that would be rather simple to fix. Just try to install your printer again on Windows.

You do not need to physically connect the printer to Windows, just go through the Windows printer setup under > Start > Printers and Fax > Add Printer. Pick > network printer and let Windows search for your printer. If it finds it, BINGO, the rest is easy as pie.

If that doesn’t work you can just install the printer as ‘plug&play’. Windows won’t find it as it’s not connected, so just continue the manual installation. Pick > create new connection type and select > Standard TCP/IP Port from the drop-down menu. You then have to enter your printer’s name or (preferably) static IP address to continue. This might require some trial and error.

In case it’s not Windows…
      Do you have the manual for your printer? It should describe the basics of setting up a wireless connection. If you don’t have it, here is a PDF:

Did you try to follow these instructions to setup the network yourself?

In any case, you cannot break anything, so just play around with what you see and you might figure it out. The above instructions are not 100% accurate, so use common sense in picking settings and options for your setup.