Is it possible to wipe OS X Lion and get Snow Leopard back?

Mark Shaw September 15, 2012

Hi everyone, back story for you all.

I got a MacBook for work and I asked my boss if I could please upgrade the OS from Snow Leopard to Lion, I offered to pay for the upgrade and whatnot. He said I could upgrade and use the company’s iTunes cards, which was nice of him.

I have had Lion for about 3 months and (don’t hate me :P ) I find that it is the Vista of Mac OS X. It crashes, is extremely laggy and I honestly prefer Snow Leopard.

I was given a copy of the company’s Standard Operating Environment or SoE as a .dmg file. But my question is this: Is it possible to get the Mac hard drive back to the “format” of Snow Leopard (Mac OS X Lion did something, and now I can’t edit the Lion Partition from Snow Leopard) and then get the Recovery Partition set as the SoE, so if I need to factory the MAc, it would load the SoE?

Thanks in Advance, Mark :)

1. Hesham Shaarawy

use the recovery disk to downgrade and use disk utility to delete lion partition.

2. Siddhant Chaurasia

You need to have the Snow Leopard ISO or disk then everything is possible

3. Katie Conway

Is it a Macbook? or a Macbook Pro? You may not have the proper system requirements if it is only a MacBook. Check your ram and processor speed first.

4. Theo Reisinger

I think the only way to get Snow Leopard back is install it from a disc onto your computer

5. Jacob Mathew

Yes you can.But create a backup of your files.All your data will be wiped from the drive. I have a copy of Mountain Lion and it seems to work fine.Better yet try to get a proper copy of mountain lion. The installation file you have might be a bad image.Try this first. If this doesn't work then you can install snow leopard.

6. April Eum

yes, you can probably find the os online somewhere and use it as a boot flash from a jump drive as i do with mountain lion osx

7. David Nelson

as long as you have the re-install disk for it. im sure you could buy it online somewhere. or try a torrent site to download a version of snow leopard.

8. Kavita

i doubt that...i don't think mac is backward compatible...

9. Nikhil Gupta

yes just download snow leopard fro the torrenrtz and make a pendrive of it .
    just boot from pen drive and install your snow leopard by replacing the lion...

10. vivek yadav

refere to osxdaily.com may be they could help you

11. vivek yadav

insert your snow-leopard dvd into the drive and double click mac osx & follow onscreen instructions

12. Andrew Wells

Yes. Completely erase your hard drive (after backing your important files up!) and locate a copy of Snow Leopard. Install as usual. I know a few people who have done a clean install and down-graded; they were disappointed with incompatibility of software.

13. ahmed Fouad khalil

Yes, you can as i know, but the better solution i suggest is to run forward and upgrade to Mountain lion

Backup your user data and then do a clean install of Snow Leopard. Also would suggest to try Mountain Lion (the latest OS X). I think it has resolved the problems being faced in OS X Lion.

You can always go back to the version your device shipped with. Since you upgraded from 10.6 it is a "yes", you can go back to Snow Leopard.

Assuming the DMG file you got is a valid ASR Image (Apple System Restore) you will have to boot from another media e.g. the installation CD and then within Disk Utility select to restore from the ASR image to the partition on your hard disk.

I'm not sure I fully understand your last part...

The "format" of Snow Leopard is a single partition where OS X is installed. You can get this by repartitioning your hard drive creating this single partition.

Snow Leopard does not have a recovery partition. The only thing you can do in that regard is create a second (smaller) partition where you clone the Installation DVD to for emergencies.

If you want to be able to restore the SoE.dmg at such time you can also copy it to the partition where you clone the Installation DVD to.

Lastly, I wouldn't keep the original Lion Recovery Partition when using Snow Leopard.

16. Christopher Webb-Orenstein

Yes it is possible. You would have to do a full install from the disk though. Apple.com has guides for reinstalling the operating system from a disk. You would loose all your files though, just a warning.

17. Erlis Dhima

I think the best way would be to back up your data, and than clean install Leopard..
    But please, wait a little more! Maybe someone else can give you a better suggestion! :)

18. Saurav Azad

I don't think because mac osx is not backward compatible.
    you can backup your data and then reinstall lepord my completely wiping the hdd.

19. Noah Brisson

Depending on the company you work for someone should have a copy of Snow Leopard. I would recommend backing up your drive (Just to make sure) and installing Snow Leopard again. A bit of a pain but it should allow you to get back to Snow Leopard. Of course you could always try Mountain Lion... But you could have a bad copy of Lion as well. I have had it for quite a time and it seems to work fine for me...