Why does Windows XP says the wrong key was entered?

Debbie Baldwin September 25, 2012

I lost my XP Home operating system after the blue screen of death. I tried to fix it but I couldn’t so my brother installed an XP Pro CD  and downloaded it. I can’t get updates and it says the key is not correct. I used his key. What do I do?

1. Kernel Recovery Tools

The version of windows are not same.

2. Dimal Chandrasiri

sorry, but you cannot use a home key on a professional release. you should download a home version and install.

3. Deekshith Allamaneni

You are trying to use a pirated copy of Windows which is not recommended. Buy it from Microsoft to get the correct key.

4. GrrGrrr

your XP pro is not genuine, simple.

get a XP Home CD, and assuming that you have a valid XP Home license, install it

5. jrasulev

Just google and you will find the right keys (not very legal ones), but make sure that your antivirus in on)

• deb

I googled until the cows came home and havent found a valid one yet lol

6. HLJonnalagadda

Yeah so the only choice is to revert to a Home edition or buy a new key..

7. Alex

If you decide to use a pirated XP pro, then it is necessary to use a pirate key (or more subtle ways). If you want to use your legal key you need to find and install is the version of XP that was before.

8. Chris Hoffman

Unfortunately, if you've installed an XP Pro system, your XP Home key won't work with it.

I suppose you'll need to install XP Home if you want to use an XP Home cd key.

It can also be the difference between OEM, Retail & Volume License. The installation media and keys are coded for the different versions. Because of this, an OEM key cannot be used with a Retail or Volume License version of the media (the types need to match for it to work). This can be overcome by modifying the SETUPP.INI file on the installation media.