How can I make the Windows XP system volume level remain at a fixed level?

Arun PR August 24, 2010

How can I fix the system volume level in Windows XP? Something like this: the max system volume level should be 10% of the original volume.

Well, you can adjust the volume level by clicking on the little loudspeaker icon in the system tray (near the clock). If you want to have a way to preset it (for example, so it will always be the same volume when you log on, regardless of what the volume was set to when you last logged out), you will need a third party utility, such as Wizmo or Nircmd.

With Nircmd (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html), install the software and then create a shortcut to it.
    Edit the shortcut's properties (right-click=>Properties) and add the options to the file name so it reads:
    nircmd.exe setsysvolume 655
    (the nircmd web page gives much more information on the options available).
    Now move the shortcut into the 'startup' folder in your start menu, and voila! every time you log on, the volume would be set to 10%.

The process with Wizmo is very similar but the parameters ('setsysvolume 655') will be different. I'm sure they're documented on the Wizmo web site.

excellent suggestion on how to achieve this with Nircmd

thanks 0ron