What causes my Windows XP system to crash with a BSOD?

Anuvab Chhotray June 9, 2011

I run Windows XP Professional on a 1GB RAM, no external Video Card Machine. Recently, my PC has developed this problem of BSOD. Any time in the middle of a session the BSOD flashes and the PC restarts. Since it says that it may be due to a hardware conflict, I uninstalled my default Intel Graphics Chipset Family Driver and installed it again. But of no use.

Other symptoms include:
[1] When starting the PC, I get the message:
“CMOS settings wrong
Press F1 to run setup
Press F2 to load default values and continue”

[2] If allowed to boot normally without any intervention, the PC restarts after sometime without any warning.

[3] Yesterday,when I started my PC and started a download in Orbit, my system hung, the mouse didn’t even move on the screen and the keyboard failed to work.

[4] When I start Counter Strike, the screen displays the “Hz ?” text on the screen.

The most recent software that I installed on my PC is Google Chrome 12, stable version.

on cmd try chkdsk /r

update to the latest version of the driver for your NIC internet connection

Hello, also make sure your time and date is set right on your BIOS.  It also would be a good idea to replace your CMOS battery.

Follow this tutorial and post back with the results http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/whocrashed-sheds-some-light-on-bsod-errors-windows/

Summary: Download and install "WhoCrashed" and analyze the logs (top left button). Post the results here.

• Anuvab Chhotray

System Information (local)
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: XPWINDOWS7
      windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
      windows dir: C:WINDOWS
      CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz Intel586, level: 15
      1 logical processors, active mask: 1
      RAM: 1064812544 total
      VM: 2147352576, free: 2031988736

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:WINDOWSMinidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 6/9/2011 2:02:19 PM GMT your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:WINDOWSmemory.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
      Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF8054BBAD)
      Error: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
      Bug check description: This indicates that the system attempted to access invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
      This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
      A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: Unknown .
      Google query: Unknown DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

On Thu 6/9/2011 4:32:31 AM GMT your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:WINDOWSMinidumpMini060911-02.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x00000000)
      Bugcheck code: 0x1000007F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFF80042000, 0x0, 0x0)
      Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M
      Bug check description: This indicates that a trap was generated by the Intel CPU and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
      This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
      Google query: Unknown UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupt:
      C:WINDOWSMinidumpMini060911-01.dmp

[0] First make sure that automatic reboot is off:
    1. Right-click on "My Computer" and click Properties
    2. click on the "Advanced" tab
    3. click on "Settings" where it says "Startup and Recovery"
    4. uncheck "Automatically restart"
    5. reboot for the settings to take effect

When the next BSOD occurs you should write down (depending on what is stated):
    - Error Name (all CAPS with underscore for spaces e.g. "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL")
    - STOP code e.g. "STOP: 0x00000001 (0x1234567c .....)"
    - any file associated with the error (e.g. "tcpip.sys - Address 0xaa49d9de ...")

for the STOP code it's important to note all HEX codes (0x....*)
    for system files/drivers the first Address should be enough

[1] CMOS SETTINGS WRONG usually refers to some problem with your RAM. Maybe wrong timings or something. It is definitely a good idea to load the defaults. Just make sure you save the changes before you quit out of the BIOS settings.

[2][3] It probably has something to do with the above and or the BSOD.

[4] I assume this is displayed on a black screen? 
    If you can get back into Windows e.g. via Alt+Tab it means that you set a custom refresh rate for Counter-Strike e.g. via a start-parameter or some "refresh rate fix" which is not supported by your monitor. 
    Right-click Counter-Strike within Steam, select Properties and then click on "Set launch options". Make sure to delete any of the following occurrences "-freq xx", "-refresh xx" (where xx is some 2 or 3 digit number).