Why does Windows XP search for HP Smart Web Print anytime I click an item in the start menu?

Myke46 August 26, 2010

My wife’s Dell desktop (Windows XP Professional SP3) now automatically tries to find HP Smart Web Print any time you try to access anything from the start menu.

For example: click My Documents, My Pictures or anything else, and you get the search for a now non-existent Smart Web Print. If you keep hitting “cancel” on the search window, it eventually goes away and the originally desired item pops up .

Hey Myke,

So did yup manage to fix it? Let us know how you did it.

2. Tek4835

You can go into MSCONFIG & see if anything HP-related is loaded at boot.
    First, goto the GEN tab & make sure SELECTIVE STARTUP is checked, then goto the STARTUP tab. Uncheck what's not wanted, then reboot.

3. Isaac Girard

If reinstalling doesn't work, try using MSFT's MSI Cleanup Utility to remove HP Smart Web Print.

MSFT has pulled it from their website, because it's extremely efficient at removing installation data from the registry, but can cause huge problems if used incorrectly.

Some Google searching, and cautious downloading should lead you to it. MSICUU2.exe is what you're looking for.

4. Josh Fox

Have you tried re-installing it to see if it stops searching for it?

5. Josh Fox

It sounds like there was a toolbar or helper installed and it's not there anymore. Try cleaning the registry with CCleaner. Also make sure that it is uninstalled completely. If not and it won't let you finish the uninstall, you may need to re-install it first.

• Myke46

I even "force"deleted it and all of its components using Iobit Pro's uninstaller and it's still happening.I also use Ccleaner as a regular part of maintenance.Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.Any other suggestions?