Why does Windows XP reset the monitor resolution to 640×480 and 8-bit colors?

Tim August 12, 2011

My wife’s computer runs Windows XP (SP3 I think) and all of a sudden the other day when it booted up, the resolution was set to 640×480 and 8-bit colors. Every time I change it, it resets. Tried reinstalling drivers in safe mode to no avail. Any ideas?

Tim,

did the suggestions above help you to resolve the issue? Please let us know. Thanks!

• timmyjohnboy

When I wasn't looking, my father-in-law restored windows to a previous point and it seems to have fixed it so far. Part of me wished he hadn't so I could've figured out what was up.

That being said, if it happens again, I will certainly revisit this thread. Some of these solutions look very promising. I thank all who have taken the time to leave a reply.

Thanks for the update, Tim! :)

Boot to Safe Mode (Enable VGA), this uses the defined driver but

at a minimum resolution & refresh rate. Once XP is running you can
    setup your preferred viewing params.
    Safe mode boots XP using a generic VGA driver, not the graphics driver you have loaded; this allows you to recover from video-drivers-gone-wrong type problemsHit F8 twice right after the computer boots. You'll see more options than you'll typically find in the normal F8 boot menu.One of the options is VGA mode; select that option. XP will boot like normal, except it'll force the video card to boot at 640x480 with 4 colors @ 60hz. From there you can change the display settings however you want. You won't even need to reboot to get out of it.XP User Display Settings http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_userdisplay.htmDisplay changerhttp://www.12noon.com/displaychanger.htm

Start -> Run: devmgmt.msc

Do you see any drivers listed with an exclamation or question mark? This would indicate a fault in a driver, or no driver at all.