Why will Windows XP not recognize wireless drivers?

Evan Spangler September 7, 2012

I have a Dell Latitude C510/C610. Am not sure which one, says both on the back of the laptop. I wiped it and reinstalled Windows XP Pro.

I found the WiFi card (Intel Pro wireless 2200BG) driver and installed it multiple times. I tried both the “Install from a list” option in XP (I did find the driver there), and I tried downloading it from Dell. It shows the driver in Device Manager (with a yellow question mark), but the card still is not recognized. In Device Manager, the card is shown as “PCI Modem”, also with a yellow question mark.

Thanks in advance,
Evan Spangler

1. Frank Luo

maybe your systerm did not install the newest driver,you can try to use some driver software like driver navigator and so on.
    the drivers download link are http://www.driversdownloader.com
    i did not test that software, no gurranty

2. Bodi Hemanth

download the drp driver search software and scan for drivers that xp doesn't have.

3. Igor Rizvi?

Atheros wireless driver problems are popping up all over the place at the moment so if turning off its own utility and relying on Windows WZC Service doesn't fix it, try Update Driver in Device Manager and check that you have the right one. My favourite for being problematic is the 507.

If it won't turn off any other way, go Start then Run and type in msconfig then hit Enter. Untick it from the list under the StartUp tab, click Apply and click the Services tab, tick Hide all Microsoft and untick the Atheros entry, click Apply and OK your way out.

After the forced restart, tick "Don't show this message again" and then check in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services that the Wireless Zero Configuration is running and set to Automatic.

OR you can try this :
    One of the updates had disabled the Event Log service. After enabling this service all networks were listed and I was able to manually add networks. So, if you had the same issue I did, then try enabling this service.

Start menu > Run > type services.msc > find Event Log > Right click > Properties > set start-up type to Automatic > Restart PC

4. Jacob Twitchel

Since Windows XP is over 10 years old it might be time to upgrade if your having those issues. I don't like telling people that but I only say that because it is only going to get worse. Microsoft and most other companies aren't making any new drivers for new hardware for Windows XP. Which in my opinion is not good considering over 42% of Windows users are still using XP, but I don't work for them so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Hello, I would uninstall the driver from device manager first and then restart your computer.

The Intel driver for wireless provided by Dell for your model applies only to wireless provided by a cardbus connection. I would try downloading the driver provided by the following link:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=us&s=bsd&cs=04&l=en&DriverId=R155386

Make sure to follow the installation instructions provided on same link:

6. Sumaiya

try to update the driver

7. Edmar Diego

maybe it's a compatibility issue,i have that same problem a few years back. the solution i found is finding a different driver and sure enough when i tried Atheros it seemed to work. hope this helps.

8. Benjamin Trotter

Intel wireless drivers are known to conflict with Windows XP. Sometimes its a manufacturer conflict.

1. Make sure your Wifi is broadcasting, or you have the exact ssid and password.

2. Sometimes Intel will package its own wireless connection program along with the drivers which will conflict with XP's connection setup. So you will need to disable one of them.

3. Are you downloading the drivers from Dell or Intel? Drivers from Dell can become outdated through updates. Try downloading the latest drivers straight from Intel. Or download from Dell, if that doesn't work. Some drivers can be hardware specific for brand name computers.

I had similiar issues with my Lenovo Thinkpad when it stopped connecting Wifi, I had to uninstall the drivers for my wireless card. Install the latest drivers for the card straight from Intel.

4. If you are using a docking station, your Wireless drivers will be disabled when are docked. Make sure when you are docked you turn off your radio. When you undock, turn on your radio, and you might have to wait a couple minutes for the drivers to kick in.

I also had an issue where my Lenovo was lagging on connecting to Wifi after undocking, I would have to wait 5-10 minutes before the Wifi would pop up and connect to it. During that time, my wireless drivers were showing a conflict in Device Manager. But would finally pop up as enabled.

9. Steve Douglas

Did you install any wireless when you installed the drivers?

If so xp has done this most of the time all the time when I was refurbishing dell laptops at my old job. You need to remove all the software and drivers. Reinstall just the drivers and that should do it I think xp wants to use its own wireless network detection programs it cause conflict with 3rd party ones.

10. Erlis Dhima

Uninstall driver from Device Manager, reinstall it again, and update to the lasted version with ParetoLogic PC Health Advisor!

11. ferdinan Sitohang

try by update driver directly to the internet. Somehow if you insist to go with your driver you need to update your chipset, and your XP Pack version. Try to get the SP3 for your XP. Some driver will work in that Pack. Thanks

in device manager right click on your driver with a yellow question mark and uninstall, download and install slimdriver or drivereasy do a scan and see if they will propose the right driver for you.
    http://www.driverupdate.net/
    http://www.drivereasy.com/

13. Usman Mubashir

Win XP is a bit old now to load latest drivers, try visiting the website of your card to get some help. If all else fail, consider upgrading to win 7, It might be heavy for your system but should do well with services switched off (like aero)