Why does it take Windows XP forever to load the shutdown menu?

phanikumar October 9, 2010

On my Windows XP computer, when I try to shutdown it doesn’t give any response for a long time. After five to ten minutes it shows shudown menu. Please help me!

hard to say what maybe an issue here. When did it start happening? Didi you try to restore system to an earlier date? In your case, i would start troubleshooting by uninstalling programs I no longer use, do a thorough check/fix with CCleaner and defragment the drive.

Some more ideas can be found here, http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

2. Josh Fox

Is it also set to hibernate? It could be calculating the size required needed to do this before the menu comes up in case that's what you choose to do. Also, anything that's set to be ran during shutdown will be checked at this time.

Something else could be that it might have some type of malware using your computer's resources. Some programs will hog the resources as well. Do you have a lot of programs, or even just one heavy program running?