Why does Windows XP always install 5 updates when I shut down?

Stan July 30, 2010

When I shut down Windows XP, I always get the message not to turn off as there are 5 updates to be installed. Every time I get the same info even though the install completes and the computer turns itself off.

1. Ben2talk

This is happening to me now - there are some serious issues with the .NET framework and Windows Live Messenger - and as this is not a Linux box it's not feasible to delete them, Microsoft force this on people as an integrated part of the O.S.

Your alternative is to refuse automatic updates, and start working on an alternative operating system. It's never going to improve (XP started forcing crapware in 2003, and 8 years down the line they're still bricking computers with their forced crapware installs).

2. Mayank

Temporarily I Would Recommend You To Disable All Updates For Ur OS.
    Until You Get Any Permanent Solution For It. Hope This Works.

3. hp

@rdube...That answer is a lame one at that... I don't have an answer but have some suspicions as to what is happening but will not say them cause there only suspicions..I have only one desktop stand alone computer and I have the same problems,,,No one else has any accounts on this PC or makes use of it...The one and only account has FULL administrative rights to all of pc. ..and I still have the problems the person said they have with false updates....

• Ryan Dube

HP - checking the security level of the ID can't hurt, it's a first step in troubleshooting this particular problem, which could have a number of causes. The fact that they're being retriggered means they aren't installing completely - it's just a matter of finding what is preventing it. Your problem, even though the behavior is the same, could have a completely different cause. Why don't you post your problem in a new question, providing everything you know about your own situation, rather than hijack someone else's question?

4. Ryan Dube

The installs may not be completing properly. You have to be certain that the account logged in when the updates are installed have admin rights to perform the installation. Even though the PC shuts off, the installs may not be completing.

5. KothariItldrp

while connecting to internet turn off the Automatic Update Option...