Why does Windows XP sometimes freeze during startup?

Paul August 30, 2010

I’m running a Windows XP desktop. One day, it’s running fine. The next day, I go to boot up, and the machine never gets out of the startup routine, it just reaches that screen where the bar repeatedly scrolls to the right, and freezes there.

My computer has essentially been “dead” this way for several weeks and I can’t figure out how to get the machine to boot. I have tried booting into Safe Mode and other modes available in the BIOS (?), but I’m not sure what to do once in there. Nothing has worked.

1. Honest Abe

Your hard drive is going out and the Win XP boot files are corrupt. Replace the drive and reload Win XP.

2. Susendeep Dutta

There might be windows files which might have been corrupted so the os is not getting booted.Have you tried reinstalling the os?

3. Joshrules001

Their could be a bad program at startup that crashes every time it starts or you could have a virus

4. Techreg07

you nay have some programs on start up that cause it to freeze, select selective start up from msconfig, clean up ur registry and go to deep system clean , you can use Reg in out

It could be a timing-out issue (driver trying to load and disk not responsding quickly enough) which can sometimes result from disc problems. If you can get it started up, run Check Disk. You'll probably need to restart the PC but check disk will run before the machine fully loads, so will do its job.

6. Angel

It seems like a driver related problem. You can use autorun to test what is loaded at boot time

7. Angel