Where in Windows XP do I find my eMail files?
Question by Jeff /

I am using Office Outlook in Windows XP Pro and I would like to save my personal eMails into a back up disk, but I do not know where to find them.
Can you help?

Hey Jeff,

ha14, covered pretty much everything. Did you manage to locate the folder with your emails following the suggestions above?

Outlook stores your email (and attachments), calendar and contacts together in one file that uses the extension “PST”. Unless you tell Outlook to use a different pst stored somewhere else, Outlook creates the *.pst under your Windows user account directory.

By default, Windows XP and Vista hide a lot of files and folders, including these files. In order to find it using Search, you need to use the Advanced search option to search all hidden files and folders and all system files.

Windows XP / 2000:
    If you are using Windows XP or Windows 2000, the files are in the following locations:

C:Documents and SettingsusernameLocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook

C:Documents and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook

To see the PST files in Windows XP, paste this line on the address bar of Windows Explorer:

%USERPROFILE%Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook

To access the folder holding the toolbar, Outlprnt, VBA, rules, and nickname files, use the following line in Windows XP:

%USERPROFILE%Application DataMicrosoftOutlook

To browse for the pst using Windows Explorer, you need to show all hidden files and folders.

In Windows XP, open Windows Explorer and go to it’s Tools, Folder Options menu.

Click on the View tab and change the settings to show all hidden files and folders.

After changing the setting, you can use Windows Explorer to navigate to your user folder then to the folder containing the files.

1. Go to Control Panel
    2. In XP open ‘Mail'; In Vista/W7 Open User Accounts first and then choose Mail
    3. Click on “Show Profiles”
    4. Choose your username and click on Properties
    5. Click Data files
    6. Click on the requred data file (probably only one to choose from)
    7. Click on “Open Folder”
    8. Copy and paste to your backup folder

or you can use this Freeware for finding your PST file