Why is my Windows XP desktop computer constantly rebooting?

Saroj January 30, 2012

Assembled desktop. RAM 750 MB, HDD 40 GB, OS Windows XP SP3, Norton 360, V5, two partitions. The computer restarts automatically.

1. Dave Rimmer

Any updates to this problem did you get it sorted.

2. i see u

overheating may be the cause of this. Carefully, unplug everything open the case and with compressed air blow all the dust out. or use a vaccume.  put everything back and give it a run.
    -or the power supply is not enough for your computer. take ur power supply to the limit, download files, play music, play videos, etc. if the computer shuts down, the power supply can not handle ur computer.

3. Erlis Dhima

Well... I read the other posts, and I can say it could be one of those problems. But, these problem used to happen to me to once, and it was a virus problem. The only solution I found the first time was upgrading the windows. Another option is to scan with an antivirus that scans in the moment windows opens(via bios). One that does something similar is BitDefender. But I recommend you try the two other options in the other comments. If nothing works, then you should really consider upgrading the windows!

Hello, What happens when you run the computer in safemode?  First step would be to disable automatic restart following the steps provided by previous poster or for an easier way, try doing the following:

-- restart computer
    -- keep pressing F8 at restart
    -- once you get the advanced menu, scroll down until you find the disable automatic restart option
    -- highlight the entry and click on enter
    -- computer will restart

Once automatic restart is enabled, any time your computer tries to restart it will give you a blue screen with an error.  Make sure to record all the info about the error and post it here.  Also you could use free software to investigate the error.  Here is a couple of links with software you can use to find info about blue screen errors:

Bluescreenview:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

whucrashed: 
    http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Restarts can be caused be several things like overheating, corrupt/old drivers, hardware failing, mismatch/loose RAM, spyware, etc. 

you can try this
    1) right-click on My Computer then click the Properties.
    2) In System Properties window click the Advanced tab then click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
    3) uncheck the Automatically restart check box. Click Ok.
    4) Reboot if necessary

possibly this can solve the reboot problem but not tha cause if it is from corrupted drivers or another reason. Check windows event viewer for any info.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427
    To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer

perhaps it is a hardware problem like relating to a bad RAM?