Why does my Windows XP computer blue screen during Windows repair?

nitin October 27, 2011

My Windows operating system files somehow became corrupted or removed. When I try to repair, a blue screen appears and says there is a technical error, and I need to disable caching or shadowing. I am using Windows XP SP2 on a computer with a Core 2 Duo processor and Gigabyte motherboard. Does anyone know how to fix?

may be hardware recent configuration change, see from your bios if your boot set up is on the hard drive that contains your windows os.

My first guess would be that you have enabled either Video BIOS caching/shadowing or System BIOS caching/shadowing within your computers BIOS.

Press DEL during startup to enter the BIOS. The two options should be listed under "Advanced Chipset Features" but the actual location may vary depending on the BIOS type and version.

Disable both, save the changes and restart your system.

Sorry for copying FIDELIS answer - it wasn't displayed before I posted

Hello, my first piece of advice would be to update your xp installation to sp3 when possible.  To disable caching or shadowing you will have to enter your BIOS and find the option there.  It should be or say something like Memory caching or virtual memory.  It could also be under CMOS settings.  I can not tell specifically what button to press to get there it changes with motherboard's manufacturer and also the BIOS have.  Have you tried, taking the CMOS battery of your motherboard for a few seconds and then putting it back?

Without knowing what the specific error is, you could start by going to the following link and read the content.  Maybe one of the errors there are similar/equal to the one you are getting:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

You could also try to log in to safemode by pressing F8 at system start and try the following:

-- last known configuration

If that does not work, you could try

-- system restore

Also, you could try checking your disk for errors by logging in to safemode with command prompt and once it opens, type the following:

chkdsk /r

There could be many causes for this to happen.  The last option I would use if you have an installation disk, would be to repair your operating system.  The following link will show you how with explanations and pictures:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

As a note, if you go ahead with a windows repair, make sure to keep your license key handy.

Hi Nitin,

I will need more information about your stop error. Please download & install WhoCrashed (direct link). Once installed, launch the program. WhoCrashed will attempt to recover recent blue screen's and display more information about them.

In the top left, you will see a green button labeled "analyze", select it. Once the scan is complete please post the most recent crash(es). You may wish to copy the error to a Pastebin, then just post the link.

The most common cause of the blue screen of death is drivers and hardware. Have you recently installed any new software, drivers, updates or hardware? If so, attempt to revert the changes. There is reason to suggest that your system may be infected with malware, consider performing a scan with malwarebytes (update it first).