Why does Windows XP not boot after moving it with HDclone?

Leo Feser June 21, 2010

I moved Windows XP from a small drive to a large drive using HDclone. Windows XP boots as far as the opening screen, then goes blank. What can I do?

Leo,

I suggest trying to start Windows in safe mode. If it works then as Smokey99 pointed out you have a driver problem. If it does the same thing in when booting in safe mode then I suppose something is wrong with your boot record. Corrupt MBR I guess. In that case try, http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true (make sure to backup everything first).

• pceasies

If you don't see anything or receive a no OS error it's a corrupt MBR . If you reach the loading screen with the blue bar it's not likely. To fix the MBR you boot off the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console.The link above describes how to fix MBR problems. To fix boot loader problems you use bootcfg. You can type bootcfg /? to show you the help screenHopefully you still have the original hard drive with all the original information. You can always boot off that and uninstall all hard drive/storage drivers then clone it again to the new drive and see if that fixes the problem.

Now that I think about it I think pceasies is right, if the Windows reaches the loading screen it's not MBR. Corrupt MBR should prevent Windows from booting at all.

I am not to sure if I am right here, but because you swapped hardware, Windows might think that it is a different computer or some sort of hacking attempt which forces it not to boot. I heard Windows does have encryption like this. And if you change from like a 40gb HDD to a 1TB HDD, there might be some misconfiguration.

I suggest doing a recovery and if that doesn't work, use a Live CD such as Ubuntu, backup all your data and re-install Windows.

3. pceasies

I assume you mean the screen with the blue bar scrolling across the bottom. Tap F8 rapidly when starting your computer and a black a white menu should open. Use your keyboard to select Safe Mode and see if it powers on successfully. If it does, you have a driver problem. You need to access Device Manager and remove all hard drive related drivers. If you switched from EIDE/PATA to SATA then you more than likely have the wrong drivers now.